Cheapest system to watch videos on HDMI

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I'm wondering which would be the cheapest systems to watch videos on HDMI. The main purpose of the system is office suite use (especially word processor) and some basic image editing, I'm figuring that uses a lot less resources than playing videos, so I've made that the feature. There--might--be gaming on it, likely 2D, but that certainly would be an optional use. An optional use that would have a higher priority would be advanced image editing. Please realize that optional uses should only marginally increase the price or increase its priority (ie: in case a top 3 is listed).

Everything but the display and input (keyboard & mouse) has to be included:
[listNum]
■power supply
■memory
■storage
■Ethernet port
■multiple USB ports
■case if not desktop*
■adapters
■and of course as the title/subject mentioned, a HDMI port
[/listNum]
There is an old system with an optical drive that could be used to copy files or make an image then transfer on an USB stick, or perhaps a network could be made for such access.
* Oh! I almost forgot, some quite old desktops are available for salvaging, ie: their case used for this system. So I'm fine making this a desktop or single-board computer, but if the latter a case has to be included in the price.

For the proposed system, I'm thinking a small M.2 drive could be booted on and for more storage there is a spare int(ernal) 2.5" HDD that could be put in an adapter to make it an ext(ernal) HDD; the HDD part not being considered in the price (I'm mentioning it as users might mention a certain size M.2 would barely or not be sufficient).

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
What good would a graphics card alone be? Also I could most likely find a single-board computer for less than that alone.

A single answer isn't necessary, a top can be made with commentary, ie: (1) A with B & C, this is good because... although there might be issues... (2) X with Y & Z, the upsides are... the downsides are ...

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
My previous post mention

and the OP

so the desktop is only if it's cheaper with saving on the case.

Any system that I can put Windows and GNU/Linux on will do; it could even be a "smart" watch if it had a HDMI port.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Windows doesn't have to come with a proposed system (included in the price), it just has to be able to be installable and (when run) use all, or almost all, the (system) functionalities.