Cheapest true 5.1/7.1 headset for gaming

Solution

Think of it this way. 7.1 is supposed to output sound from 7 different sides. The best way to do this is with a home theater as the 7 speakers are literally placed apart.

When you're adding 7.1 on something as small as a headset, this effect is much much less efficient. So have a simulated 7.1 will actually be much better as it'll sound more natural.

True 7.1 headsets are mostly a rip-off. The proof of this is by looking at the Razer Tiamat, which is the only true 7.1...
May 15, 2018

Why would it be better? From what I've seen, multiple drivers are way more accurate.

Think of it this way. 7.1 is supposed to output sound from 7 different sides. The best way to do this is with a home theater as the 7 speakers are literally placed apart.

When you're adding 7.1 on something as small as a headset, this effect is much much less efficient. So have a simulated 7.1 will actually be much better as it'll sound more natural.

True 7.1 headsets are mostly a rip-off. The proof of this is by looking at the Razer Tiamat, which is the only true 7.1 head set I know (I know of 2 but can't remember the other brand) and they cost 200$. Whilst you can get a very very good headset for half the price. It costs 200$ because of the 7.1 which isn't that great. The sound quality for audiophiles is disappointing, and where you're spending 200$ on a headset... Whether it's intended for gaming or not, you deserve high quality sound.

Solution
May 15, 2018

Thanks! Which headset would you recommend?

Mar 24, 2019
virtual surround is rubbish in comparison to true surround... I have both headsets with true and virtual … virtual is crap tbh …. true is far more accurate and producers so much better sound than virtual. virtual is a crappy usb sound adapter where the true is multiple 3.5 + usb for driver control...

Jul 3, 2019
What would be the cheapest true 5.1/7.1 headset? Preferably under €150.
Virtual surround is garbage. I had a CM Sirus 5.1 and it was excellent, sadly nothing lasts forever and I purchased a corsair 7.1 not knowing it was virtual and it sucked, poor sound quality, shitty surround experience as well. Just purchase a decent 2.1 and use software to virtualize, windows virtualization will do.
Or just get a true 5.1 and have a superior experience. Right now I have the arctic sound P531 true 5.1... True surround offers so much more.

Oct 17, 2019
Yes, true 5.1 is far superior to any virtualized surround headset.

I hate it when "experts" all around the internet think to know better, probably without even having tried true 5.1 once for gaming.

Any simulated surround sucks. Period.
True 5.1 allows you to pin point enemies behind walls, it is mind blowing. Your ears ARE able to differentiate, even when the 2, 3 drivers are cramped into one earpiece. It does make a difference.

At one point I was so confused about all the virtual-yay-sayers, that I bought a excellent stereo headset with virtual surround software. It was horrible, I couldn't pin point anyone anymore.

So the "virtual surround is much better" myth apparently convinced manufacturers to drop true 5.1 concepts. There is only one on the market with crappy build quality. And the Roccat Kave XTD seems to be sold out, with poor quality too.

That's why I'm holding onto my original Roccat Kave with soldering and gluing. It's a masterpiece. Great audio quality. True 5.1. Heavy bass.

It's giving me a constant 20% advantage in any online fps game - I love it.

Sad thing is, that there are no more 5.1 headsets out there (worth buying).