[SOLVED] Cheapest videocard capable of 1080p recording

Aug 6, 2022
Hello, I'm finally getting back into pc building. This is kind of a strange question I guess. I need an extra card for video recording. I'm building a linux based machine and plan to do windows virtualization, and in order to do that I need to passthrough my gpu to windows. Problem is, once I do that, linux can't use it. So I figured I might as well buy something useful, and ideally with low power consumption. The idea is that I record the vm in linux, and do rendering with rtx 3080 in windows, shouldn't be too demanding to record I think. I have no idea what bottom tier cards can and can't do nowadays, so I'm wondering if you could help me on this one.

My specs:
PSU 750W
Asus rtx 3080
I5 12600kf
16gb ram

(That should be around 580W in power consumption)

Aug 6, 2022
Nope, you're going to need a lot more juice than that, more like a 1.2KW PSU.

Are you sure you don't need a capture card, instead?

1200 seems a bit overkill. In the benchmarks i've seen the 3080 is around 340W, and the recommended psu us at least 750. It's not like I'm running 2 of these things

A capture card won't render the desktop for me. Besides, getting a low end a videocard is considerably cheaper, plus I could use the extra monitor ports

Aug 6, 2022
And that's why you don't cheap out of the $40 or so and get the CPU with the iGPU instead.

But also why are you building a linux system to run windows on it to run games.
Linux can play a large part of all games thanks to valve.

Yes, I learned the hard way ;)

I would love to ditch windows altogether, but modding games is really not an option in most cases on linux. I'm really impressed with what proton can do now btw.

I'm considering getting a gt 710 currently for like $20. No idea if it will be able to encode 1080p in 60 frames though