Cheapest way to get sound back

Aug 29, 2018
I'm upgrading a PC desktop for a friend (added an ssd ,ram and a 750ti).
I've noticed a problem with the motherboard sound card but I was sure that it will be fixed after a clean windows install, it didn't.
I can grab sound from the 750ti's HDMI port, but still can't connect a microphone.
What is the cheapest way to get sound back? I know that the cheap USB dongle sound cards won't work as they are based on mobo sound.
But will the more expansive USB soundcards work? Pci sound card(I assume it will work), maybe USB headsets?

Solution
A USB headset could do the trick but can be a bit more expensive than regular heasets.
And if you already have a headset, that's not a good idea.

I bought two 10$-ish USB sound card from Amazon/GearBest/Whatever with great success.
They don't rely on the motherboard, they are small sound cards that can deliver stereo, 5.1, 7.1 or Surround sound depending on the model.
They're cheap and have worked well for me on an Acer laptop and an Alienware desktop.

Good luck!

br00n0

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
A USB headset could do the trick but can be a bit more expensive than regular heasets.
And if you already have a headset, that's not a good idea.

I bought two 10$-ish USB sound card from Amazon/GearBest/Whatever with great success.
They don't rely on the motherboard, they are small sound cards that can deliver stereo, 5.1, 7.1 or Surround sound depending on the model.
They're cheap and have worked well for me on an Acer laptop and an Alienware desktop.

Good luck!

Solution