Question Cheapest way to get Windows 10 (The Legal Way)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grant Cole

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Title pretty much sums it up. I noticed Windows 10, even the one time install per a single computer is ridiculously expensive, and I believe Windows 10 is most compatible for modern gaming today so I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives that also work that is not illegal of course.

Jan 23, 2020
Title pretty much sums it up. I noticed Windows 10, even the one time install per a single computer is ridiculously expensive, and I believe Windows 10 is most compatible for modern gaming today so I'm wondering if there are cheaper alternatives that also work that is not illegal of course.

I will give my experience. I bought 4 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit keys off ebay a few years ago for $20. The first attempt failed on the automated side, but I called a tool free number and the MS employee activated it without question. It is still running on my laptop years later. Switch to another system. I just upgraded all core components other than storage on my main gaming PC. I say to myself, oh yeah, I have 3 other unused keys. I have tried all three using the slmgr commands, and when I try to activate them its tells me the key has been blocked. Soooo.... take it for what its worth, about $20.