[SOLVED] cheating extra quiet out of a noisy gpu?

theateam794

Honorable
Sep 21, 2017
I used to have a "silent" duel fan card (with horrible coil whine) and finally upgraded to get away from it but chose a single fan plait 1660 card as it seem to be one of the only cards that would fit my case.

in basic 3d games this card is a dream, doesn't break a sweat and sits happily at 35*C with the fan speed silent around 38% (this is the lowest the fan will go)

anything graphically intensive, bloom the works and the temps jump to and hold around 65*C the fan cranks upto around 67% and is audible enough to be annoying !

so I was looking for any ways to cheat some more quiet, first wondering if underclocking may help reduce heat / noise ?

secondly Im not very knowledgeable about fan curves but I know once my fan gets around 52% speed it starts getting annoying, is it fine to lock the fan at an acceptable noise level and have the card just run hotter ? if so what kind of numbers *C are "good"?

lastly I thought maybe I should add extra chassis fans to help airflow but feel like maybe the extra fans would add more noise and give negligible temperature changes, thoughts ?

I am open to other suggestions

Thanks

Solution
You can certainly try setting a negative offset and reducing power input. But it should self regulate if you just lock the fans to an acceptable level. Or do both.

Might shorten the card's lifespan. Depends on how long it needs to last I suppose.

As to adding fans to the chassis, only if you think the card is overheating because of a lack of airflow. Doesn't seem like that is the situation, or your previous card would have had similar problems.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can certainly try setting a negative offset and reducing power input. But it should self regulate if you just lock the fans to an acceptable level. Or do both.

Might shorten the card's lifespan. Depends on how long it needs to last I suppose.

As to adding fans to the chassis, only if you think the card is overheating because of a lack of airflow. Doesn't seem like that is the situation, or your previous card would have had similar problems.

Solution