Check Disc Problem

IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi,

I have an empty 120GB SATA Hard Drive that showed some problems when checking with Chrystaldisc (CAUTION). I am running it as as external on a USB.
I reformatted it, then ran:
'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'.

I started that 15 hours ago and the scale only looks about 15% completed. (about 1,500,000 clusters).
I have an i7 2600 with lots of ram.
Can anyone tell me if this rate of progress is normal and, if not, any advice?
Thank you

Solution
The sector scan takes a long time. It's literally writing data to each sector and then reading it back to make sure there were no issues. If the read isn't right, then that sector will be marked as bad in the FAT and it won't store data there anymore. It's been forever since I did one of these scans. They do take "forever" but I'm unsure hour fast it will be. 120GB isn't that much so I'm inclined to believe that it is dead as well.

IPW

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks but the reformatting was not the problem - that only took a minute or so.

It is the : 'scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors' on chkdsk that is going dreadfully slowly.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
I would check the hard drive using the manufacturers testing tool. Or use Seagate Tools to check it as it is not manufacturer specific. Run the extended test (can take a few hours) and if it does not pass then the drive is no good.

4745454b

Titan
The sector scan takes a long time. It's literally writing data to each sector and then reading it back to make sure there were no issues. If the read isn't right, then that sector will be marked as bad in the FAT and it won't store data there anymore. It's been forever since I did one of these scans. They do take "forever" but I'm unsure hour fast it will be. 120GB isn't that much so I'm inclined to believe that it is dead as well.

Solution