check for errors disabled on reboot

jed60

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
I am having trouble with the autocheck after a reboot. it says I have an unspecified error due to some unspecified software. it tells me to use system restore to fix this. system restore cannot go back far enough to correct the problem. so now system restore won't run because I have errors and autocheck won't run to fix these errors. I uninstalled Norton 360 back in December and read somewhere that may be the culprit for the autocheck error. I have tried everything from checking the boot execute value to chkdsk /f /r to no avail. everything seems fine but I still can't fix any errors on restart.

jed60

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014

Cannot open volume for direct access.
Autocheck cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed
package.
Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore
to a point to the
recent software package installation.
An unspecified error occurred (76676c75652e63 3f1

jed60

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
I believe this error happened when I uninstalled Norton 360. I have tried using regedit to see if autocheck autochk was there and also the boot execute value. Nothing was wrong there I did the fsutil query and it says the volume is dirty. I tried chkdsk /f /r c: and that did not help. Finally I was able to do a chkdsk from the recovery environment and it says I have no errors. But the autocheck problem still exists on reboot.