Check signal cable message on monitor (new motherboard and cpu)

theilliterate

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I'm completely computer illiterate.
That being said, I was advised to replace my motherboard and cpu in my computer. I had help picking and ordering the appropriate parts and when they came in today, I just matched the names from where things went on my old motherboard to my new one. overall, putting it was easier than I thought and I was pretty excited to start using it. whenever I go to turn it on, however nothing really appears on the monitor.

Instead of the normal screen, it remaims black. It says analog in the top corner with five dots below it, switches to hdmi with the same five dots, then switches back to analog again. It then displays a floating box that says 'check signal cable' with colored squares underneath it and 'hdmi' at the bottom.

The lights in the computer glow properly, the fans are going, and if I leave it on for an extended amount of time, I can feel a faint amount of warmth. I have a samsung monitor connected via an hdmi cable. I checked everything and all cables are pushed in as much as they can be. I tested the monitor with my laptop (after googling the issue and seeing it might be a firmware problem?) but it works just as it should when pluggednin. The monitor also worked perfectly with my pc before I switched out the parts.

At this point I'm extremely confused and have no idea what to do next. The computer seems fine, but I can't really tell if I can't use the monitor. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
The monitor is not getting any single from the GPU. Try unplugging the cable then replug it in. Do it to the monitor too.
Does the system beeb or anything? If your monitor supports VGA use it.
Make sure the CPU supports integrated graphics. If you have a GPU this should not be a problem.
If yo have a GPU make sure you have the monitor plugged into it instead of the MOB.
Also you can not just swap out MOBs and expect it to work.
You will have to reinstall Windows to get everything reconfigured.
Try putting your old CPU and MOB back in. The same way it all came out.
If it all works after you put all of the old stuff back ask someone to help you install the MOB and CPU.
Ask a friend or someone to help you.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
The monitor is not getting any single from the GPU. Try unplugging the cable then replug it in. Do it to the monitor too.
Does the system beeb or anything? If your monitor supports VGA use it.
Make sure the CPU supports integrated graphics. If you have a GPU this should not be a problem.
If yo have a GPU make sure you have the monitor plugged into it instead of the MOB.
Also you can not just swap out MOBs and expect it to work.
You will have to reinstall Windows to get everything reconfigured.
Try putting your old CPU and MOB back in. The same way it all came out.
If it all works after you put all of the old stuff back ask someone to help you install the MOB and CPU.
Ask a friend or someone to help you.

Solution

theilliterate

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
managed to figure out the problem with it with a bit of help! there was a screw in the back of the that was a smidge loose and was touching the back of the motherboard. a quick tighten and it's running smoothly! feeling a bit silly for not catching it, but I'm glad it was nothing major.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

You are lucky! That screw could have screwed your whole computer. :)
Shorted it out. That is good you fixed it.