Question Checkerboard on Login in [Picture inside]

SpacyDistortion

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
which looks like this,Checkerboard Artifacts.
This PC im using is New about 2weeks, all parts are new except the GPU which is an Sapphire Nitro+ RX480, This GPU was used in 2 Previous builds and worked flawlessly! here are the specs of the PC.

PC PartPicker

* Keep in mind this error happens every so often i am force to hard reset the PC, but once im able to log in i can do pretty much anything i want with out issues i can game for long hours until shutdown, just to give you examples World War Z,Star Wars Battlefront 2,Total War Warhammer 2, all Ultra Graphics 1080p for hours on end.

* What kind of Troubleshooting did i do? List below/

• I OCed the CPU to 3.7 with stable vcore of 1.325 and ran Cinebench and Prime95 for couple hours each with each having a stable avg temp of 70c, I even went Stock Speeds and the error would still happen.
  • Ran Memtest for 3-4h 8 instances each at 1.5GB Ram and had over 300% no errors
  • I took out each stick and put 1 in at a time, and restarted/shutdown the pc 5 times each and it worked perfect no checkerboarding, BUT with both sticks in it cause the issue to happen! so maybe both sticks are defective?
  • I replaced the PSU with Thermaltake Smart DPS G 600W Digital 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular ATX 12V 2.31/EPS 12V 2.92 Power Supply and everything seems great.
  • With my Monitor i tried to see if it was a display port issue and went back to HDMI and it still persisted.
So what could possibly be the issue? again i can log in play games for hours just fine, but every other shutdown or restart i could possibly get this problem.
as i am typing this now im playing Battlefield 1 just fine.

* This issue only happens when i get to the login screen or a little bit after i log in. it happens every so often.
but when it does not happen i can game all day log.

EDIT: So im believe this entire issue is a vCore issue on the CPU OC, i went and turned the vCore down from 1.325 to 1.250 and everything seems fines, i restarted/shutdown the PC about 6 times to see if the problem will happen even shutdown the PC for couple of hours and it has not been back since.

Last edited:

SpacyDistortion

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
gpu or psu issue
Im guessing it must be a GPU issue, because the PSU is brand new and GPU is couple years old RX480 late 2017. but ive used this GPU in 2 Previous Builds and they all had no issues.

Edit: could this be a display port issue? after doing some more research other people had had graphical errors similar to mine and this is the cable i ordered. Amazon Display Port.
Also the PSU is a Thermatake 600w DPS Smart, Again just got it brand new.

Last edited:
Im guessing it must be a GPU issue, because the PSU is brand new and GPU is couple years old RX480 late 2017. but ive used this GPU in 2 Previous Builds and they all had no issues.

Edit: could this be a display port issue? after doing some more research other people had had graphical errors similar to mine and this is the cable i ordered. Amazon Display Port.
Also the PSU is a Thermatake 600w DPS Smart, Again just got it brand new.

Easy to find out if it's an issue with the port or cables, try another one. Only real way to see if the issue is with the card is to test another one with the same power draw in your system and test your card in another system.

SpacyDistortion

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Easy to find out if it's an issue with the port or cables, try another one. Only real way to see if the issue is with the card is to test another one with the same power draw in your system and test your card in another system.
So i did test if it was the HDMI or Display Port and it happens in both, Heres a major question I do have my CPU Oced to 3.7 and the vCore i set to 1.325, and i would get that checkboard issue, but last night i set the vCore back down to 1.250 and after about 10 restarts/shutdowns to duplicate the issue is has not happened!

would that be the issue?