[SOLVED] Checkerboard pattern when i directly turn off by pulling the wire without proper shutdown

majorwardaddy

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Hi
I just got a used rx 570 4gb sapphire pulse (locally) and new (8gbx8gb)16gb ddr3 1600mhz rams from aliexpress
now if I turn off my pc directly i.e., by pulling the plug and I turn it on, screen shows me checkerboard pattern with no inputs working not even the mouse cursor is moving it then restarts on its own and then work just fine afterwards
are new rams the issue or the new gpu?

my psu is enough (460w) pc has no problems whatsoever otherwise just this thing is bugging me out

edited:
i have absolutely no problems when I am grinding the <Mod Edit> out of my gpu for hours otherwise, gpu is almost in mint condition idling at 35 37 celsius and it never crosses 70 even on 100w+ utilization for extended periods of time

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Ok. Well, good luck with that.

Just for the record, I've seen a lot of people walk out in front of traffic and not get hit as well, until the day that they do. Apparently, at some point, it was your day to get hit when you walked out in front of traffic so just the fact that you knew you shouldn't be pulling the plug like that should have been enough to know not to do it. I mean, you can play Russian roulette five times with a revolver and not get smoked, but you know, every time, that there's a chance for it to happen sooner or later and when it does then it's like the old saying, "You knew I was a scorpion when you chose to give me a ride, so don't act surprised that I stung you". Or something like that.

In other words, what...
Why would you pull the plug? That is not how you turn a system off and on, and if you HAVE to pull the plug to power off, then you have other much bigger problems. ALL systems have problems if somebody is "pulling the plug". Not "checkerboard" patterns, specifically, but usually something unwanted results from doing that especially if you're doing it regularly. Computers are not meant to be powered off like that so my first recommendation would be to stop doing that before you smoke something.

majorwardaddy

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Why would you pull the plug? That is not how you turn a system off and on, and if you HAVE to pull the plug to power off, then you have other much bigger problems. ALL systems have problems if somebody is "pulling the plug". Not "checkerboard" patterns, specifically, but usually something unwanted results from doing that especially if you're doing it regularly. Computers are not meant to be powered off like that so my first recommendation would be to stop doing that before you smoke something.

No I absolutely totally agree but I have been pulling the plug of my earlier pcs and they didnt have no problem with it so, I just want to make sure the gpu isnt the problem so I can refund it

Just for the record, I've seen a lot of people walk out in front of traffic and not get hit as well, until the day that they do. Apparently, at some point, it was your day to get hit when you walked out in front of traffic so just the fact that you knew you shouldn't be pulling the plug like that should have been enough to know not to do it. I mean, you can play Russian roulette five times with a revolver and not get smoked, but you know, every time, that there's a chance for it to happen sooner or later and when it does then it's like the old saying, "You knew I was a scorpion when you chose to give me a ride, so don't act surprised that I stung you". Or something like that.

In other words, what happened with your other PCs is irrelevant. Something bad could have happened with those as well, and just because you were lucky enough that nothing DID happen, doesn't mean much.

My guess would be that if you simply power the system off and on CORRECTLY, you won't have that problem, and if you do, it's because something has already been affected by the fact that you were doing that.

Solution

majorwardaddy

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
[/QUOT

In other words, what happened with your other PCs is irrelevant. Something bad could have happened with those as well, and just because you were lucky enough that nothing DID happen, doesn't mean much.

My guess would be that if you simply power the system off and on CORRECTLY, you won't have that problem, and if you do, it's because something has already been affected by the fact that you were doing that.
jesus bro I dont do it on purpose but is there any sure way to see if its the gpu which is causing the problem because I read somewhere rams cause checkerboard patterns too

Yes, try a different graphics card or different memory. Truthfully, I've never seen RAM cause a problem like this with a checkerboard display. This is normally going to be a graphics card problem.

How do you accidentally unplug the system? In approximately 37 years of working with computer systems, I can't recall a single occasion where I "accidentally" unplugged the system while the power was on. Anyhow, it's a bad idea to do that, so I'll just leave it at that.

majorwardaddy

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Does the system show this checkerboard pattern when you power on and off normally? Or is there a problem that doesn't allow you to power on and off normally? That's the thing that we're trying to establish here.
no sir it absolutely does not It only comes when I forcefully shutdown (pull the plug) but goes away after restarting on its own, my best guess ram memory has to dump first prior to booting up again it then does this itself when it restarts the system and the problem goes away. I can shut down easily but I just dont sometimes force of habit sorry.

Ok, so the simple answer here is "don't do that". Problem solved. Let me tell you , you REALLY don't want to do that. It's VERY bad for your power supply, storage devices and operating system, but it's definitely not well tolerated by motherboards, graphics cards or anything else either when done on a regular basis, or at all for that matter. Don't pull the plug, shut down normally. If you don't, then you just don't value your hardware.

Reactions: RTX 2080 and Krotow

majorwardaddy

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Ok, so the simple answer here is "don't do that". Problem solved. Let me tell you , you REALLY don't want to do that. It's VERY bad for your power supply, storage devices and operating system, but it's definitely not well tolerated by motherboards, graphics cards or anything else either when done on a regular basis, or at all for that matter. Don't pull the plug, shut down normally. If you don't, then you just don't value your hardware.
yes absolutely I will make sure to not do that