Checking if the new RAMs compatible with old ones?

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Hi, I have following components:

MoBo: M5a97 Evo R2.0

Old RAMs: 2 x Corsair Vengeance [4Gb, 1600Mhz, CL9, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V]
(Model: CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)

New RAMs: 2 x HyperX Fury [4Gb, 1866Mhz, CL10, 10-11-10-(29 or 30, idk), 1.5V)]
(Model: HX318C10F/4)

I installed the new RAMs alongside my old ones to get to 16Gb (8+8). After tweaking the BIOS, I currently have them running at 1866Mhz, 9-10-9-27, 1.5V. The system seems to be stable. CPU-Z displays that the RAMs are working in Dual Channel.

How do I check if the RAMs are now compatible or are in sync? Is their a software that can help me confirm the same by stressing out the RAMs to the extremes.

Problem is I tested a few games like GTA V, Mad Max, Valley Benchmark etc. all seem to be working fine. However, when I play Batman Arkham Knight, I get a stuttering of half a millisecond randomly. Did not have this problem with only the Old RAMs installed. Also, the RAMs are pain in the a$$ to remove and install agin and again as one of the RAM is obstructed by CPU cooler fan, and I need to remove the Fan each time I try to remove the RAMs or interchange them. Even if I do it, the CPU fan port is really tucked away towards the top and gets difficult to plug back the fan in. I would like to test the RAM compatibility using a software if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Memtest 86+ www.memtest.org is a great program to test memory errors. You might consider loosing the timings to CL10 as it might help.

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

lol, what do ya know! I thought I had great timings, but apparently one of my RAMs wasn't detected/working. As in, CPU-Z would show 16Gb, but Windows and Bios would detect 12Gb only. Had to loosen the timings to CL10 (10-11-10-29) to make them all work.

Tried Memtest86 (the non + version as people say it is being maintained better). It shows no error. I tried playing the game with just the new RAMs in, and again no stuttering. But when I combine the old and the new ones, there's still stuttering. And its still just in this game (Batman Arkham Knight).

Would welcome any other suggestions or insights on why the game might be doing this. AFAIK, Batman AK is the only game that would require more than 8Gb, so I might be getting stuttering only in this game. Is their any other Game/Application that requires more than 8Gb so I can test the performance using those Games/Applications?

Update: The stuttering is lot less now. Occurs mainly when there is a change in location (like Batman enters or exists an interior).

Hmm you could keep your current timings and also do what Tradesman1 suggested and raise the Ram voltage very slightly and see if that helps. The small amount of voltage he suggested will not shorten you systems life as it is practically withing the margin of error.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If no joy with the DRAM voltage, what CPU? With 4 sticks, the MC can be laboring, AMD CPUs are really aimed at 2 stick setups so with 4 might also add a little voltage to the MC (memory controller) normally it's the CPU/NB voltage on AMD rigs, maybe take it to 1.2

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

Will definitely try upping the voltage by 0.05. I am using FX-6300 for now, but will upgrade to 8350 by the end of this week. Only after that will I be able to complete the stability test. :)

Also waiting for 480x to be launched. Been using R9 280x since 2013. Its a nice card, and plays most of the titles at high settings on FHD, even QHD (super-sampled), but maybe its time to up the game :)

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

That's awesome! 150$ more!

Ryan_78

Honorable
yea they are amazing cards. the 7970 I have, which is literally the card the R9 280x is, is pretty darn good. miners

anyways I mean if you upgraded to a 8350, I don't think tis worth it as much
switching over to intel like haswell is a better option, if you can afford it.

tshrjain

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013

I can't. At least not yet. As I'll need to change MoBo too. But am planning to OC the 8350 to 4.5, but it will be Air cooled. Not sure if that's a good idea.

4.5Ghz should be quite possible with most decent heatsinks.