Question Checking old Windows 7 disks are original

Aug 18, 2019
To my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't make Windows 7 ISOs available to OEM users any more, however I have some old disks laying around of Windows 7 burnt from ISOs. Problem is I can't remember where the ISOs came from, and especially whether it was a reliable source. Does anyone know how I can check if the copy of Windows 7 on the disk is original and untouched? I've heard something about checking hashes, but can't find elaboration. And is there any other way?

Aug 18, 2019
I really need a more concrete way of checking than that. Is there any way to get hold of a reliable ISO these days? I don't think comparing hashes is going to work considering how many different versions of each Windows existed (when accounting for all the updates).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is no legit way to get a win 7 iso anymore. there are plenty of iso's hosted by 3rd parties, but of course there is no way of knowing if they are untouched or not. most likely they are not.

about the best way to get one is to see if a friend happens to have an old disk sitting around. maybe even local school system or company you know that is still using win 7 or had recently. they likely have a copy sitting around still. that's how i got my good copy. a friend happened to have one sitting around and i made an iso and have kept it safe since. multiple copies in multiple places since i know i am not likely to get so lucky again.

that's really you're best shot at getting an untouched copy.

D

Deleted member 14196

agreed. I guess you could get the MSDN subscription and still get the iso, maybe..... I need to check

MSDN subscription is ridiculously expensive way to get it though. it's done and I am not even testing any of our products on it. it's retired.

To my knowledge, Microsoft doesn't make Windows 7 ISOs available to OEM users any more, however I have some old disks laying around of Windows 7 burnt from ISOs. Problem is I can't remember where the ISOs came from, and especially whether it was a reliable source. Does anyone know how I can check if the copy of Windows 7 on the disk is original and untouched? I've heard something about checking hashes, but can't find elaboration. And is there any other way?

The hash check would be for the ISO file you would download, not for the disk you made with it. You would have to find another known good disk for the same version you have and compare exact file count and size of the disk.