Question Checksum error on laptop

AbhinayK

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
My laptop shut down out of nowhere today, showed CMOS error, but is now working fine? What's going on?

Laptop : HP omen 15 Dh0138TX

Okay so an extended cut of what happened.

I was playing a game on my laptop called The Ascent, ran fine at 80+fps. No issues. Did the same last night, no issue. After playing the game for a while, I shut it down, opened up opera and started to watch some videos on YouTube. While I was watching videos my laptop just suddenly turned off. Not like a proper shutdown, but just a tak and boom, no light, no display. When I pushed the power button, no response, the battery charging light wasn't even starting up, the laptop was... Dead sort of.

I looked up a few articles, I disconnected the battery, tried just ac power. No luck. Did the reverse, just the battery. No luck. Then I did that power button holding thing for 1 minute and then plugged in ac, no luck. Then I just kept the laptop as it is, went to sleep.

Woke up like 3 hours later and now it's runs fine again??? It showed a CMOS checksum error 502 on the start, but told me to just reboot the computer. I did. And I am not getting that error anymore.

Now the laptop runs fine on battery and on AC power.

What exactly happened here? And should I be worried that it might happen again in the future?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to see if your laptop has an y BIOS updates pending. You should gradually work your way to the latest BIOS version if you have a number of BISO pending update, do not jump to the latest version. As for the updates, please take note to update the firmware in between BIOS updates where necessary(you should see notes on if you need to update ME firmware). As for your OS, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing?

AbhinayK

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Might want to see if your laptop has an y BIOS updates pending. You should gradually work your way to the latest BIOS version if you have a number of BISO pending update, do not jump to the latest version. As for the updates, please take note to update the firmware in between BIOS updates where necessary(you should see notes on if you need to update ME firmware). As for your OS, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on at the time of writing?

Hello, thank you for the response.

Yes there was a bios update, I updated it just now and it's running fine. Firmware is up to date as well. As for Windows version I am running 19042.1165