chessmaster 7000 won't load

I ran CM 7K with no problem for years especially as a trainer for my nephews
when they visit.I recently reformatted my PC (Win98) because it was so
slow.Now the PC runs great BUT I can't get CM 7K to run.I have unloaded and
reloaded it with the same results.
---When I put disc 1 in and hit autoplay the figure of the old man comes
up,I choose "run" and a small 2" X 5" window with the same gray parchment
background I'm used to comes up but no full size screen with the little
quiz,etc.Waiting for 10 minutes makes no difference.I put in the 1.06 patch
but no improvement.I try running it by going to START-PROGRAM-the knight
icon with the same curious small window.
Thanks,
Hank

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

hbienert wrote:
> I ran CM 7K with no problem for years especially as a trainer for my
nephews
> when they visit.I recently reformatted my PC (Win98) because it was
so
> slow.Now the PC runs great BUT I can't get CM 7K to run.I have
unloaded and
> reloaded it with the same results.
> ---When I put disc 1 in and hit autoplay the figure of the old man
comes
> up,I choose "run" and a small 2" X 5" window with the same gray
parchment
> background I'm used to comes up but no full size screen with the
little
> quiz,etc.Waiting for 10 minutes makes no difference.I put in the 1.06
patch
> but no improvement.I try running it by going to START-PROGRAM-the
knight
> icon with the same curious small window.
> Thanks,
> Hank

I'm going to assume that you are still running Win98, which should pose
no problem.

I THINK that you are experiencing this problem which is mentioned in
the CM8000 FAQ:

-------------
Q: When I start Chessmaster all I get is a little message box that
mentions sound (or has no text in it at all). What's causing this?

A: The most likely explanation is that this is a sound card issue. Some
users have had this problem fixed by updating the drivers for their
sound card. Other users have reported that they, in fact, had no sound
card at all! Chessmaster 8000 requires some sort of sound-playing
device (either a separate sound card or an embedded card on your
computer's motherboard). Other users have experienced this problem
because they were running a program that "took control" of their sound
card, such as WinAmp, Windows Media Player, another game, or some
software that came with their sound card. In almost all cases, closing
down these kinds of programs before attempting to run Chessmaster
removed the problem. Still other users had a voice modem that was set
up in such a way as to prevent Chessmaster from initializing. Since
each voice modem is different, no generic instructions can apply on how
to solve this problem. If you have a voice modem and are experiencing
this problem, you should look at your modem's properties and
documentation for any settings that might be affecting Chessmaster's
sound initialization.

To help determine if there is a problem with your sound card's
settings, the v1.0.1 patch for Chessmaster 8000 adds support for a
special CM.INI debugging setting. If you want to test whether or not
your sound card's settings are preventing Chessmaster from
initializing, add the following to your CM.INI file (found in the
folder where you installed Chessmaster 8000):

[debug]
NoAudio=1

If Chessmaster starts up properly with this setting enabled, then there
is a problem with your sound card. Be sure to disable this setting
(either by changing it to "NoAudio=0" or by deleting the entry
altogether) once you are done testing, because it is intended strictly
for debugging purposes only.
-------------

Let me know if this helps....

jm

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

One thing I forgot. You are using CM7000, so the last section about
using the "NoAudio" test setting will not work, since this was added
for CM8000. However, the problem could still very likely involve your
sound card, so the first section is where you should concentrate your
efforts.

jm

After spending quite a while tracking down a driver for the card for my old
PC I was able to d/l divX and then get CM7000 to run.A sound card is
MANDATORY

--
Thanks,
Hank

JVMerlino

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

hbienert wrote:
> After spending quite a while tracking down a driver for the card for
my old
> PC I was able to d/l divX and then get CM7000 to run.A sound card is
> MANDATORY
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Hank

Ah, yes, the program does require a sound card, which is stated in the
minimum spec (I'm pretty sure).

I honestly never thought of that, because 99.99% of the machines out
there have some kind of audio device.

jm