News Chia Coin Spurs HDD Shortage: Prices Up, High Capacities Sell Out

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
why am I under the impression that all article related to one cryptoscam at a time are produce by people who invested in them and is trying to inflate their value by promoting them as much as they can so they can resale at easy and fast profit?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Our elected representatives need to start representing and rein in the crypto currencies. A lot of users (particularly businesses and governments) can get by without needing a serious GPU. However, we all need storage. Shortages and big jumps in storage prices are not something we need right now.

Reactions: martinch

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I used to joke around with my mates about mining using other parts of a PC, even something that isn't capable of doing calculations like hard drives or even PSUs

I know I shouldn't have tempted fate

Reactions: martinch

mogster

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Why exclude shingled drives? SMR is not a barrier to Chia farming.

Also, you may want to look at SSD prices (especially NVME) since Chia needs them for temporary storage.

NatalieEGH

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
If I had the data space, I would consider selling my 16TB drives. I bought four set up as a spanned drive to use as a DVR on my computer. Unfortunately I am currently at 48TB usage and have no place to store my stuff. They are going for about 50% more than I paid for them.

Oct 1, 2021
How can we get rid of chia? I don't think the author intended to screw up the hard drive market, but he did. Now people with money buy hard drives, and simple computer users suffer (like me).

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
How can we get rid of chia? I don't think the author intended to screw up the hard drive market, but he did. Now people with money buy hard drives, and simple computer users suffer (like me).
sometime, I wonder how many author for well known magazine stocks on the crypto they are promoting as "the next big thing" before publishing?

Nov 2, 2021
This is a very frustrating situation that does not seem to be getting any better. I purchased 2 of the WD80EFAX 8 TB Red Plus drives on Oct 13, 2020 from Amazon.com for $169.99 each. I now need 2 more drives, but they now cost (11/2/2021) $350.00!!! each from a 3rd party seller. The newer WD80EFBX costs $209.99 and is out of stock. The first is an increase of 106% and even the less expensive one is an increase of 24%. This is crazy and this article certainly does not show how bad the situation really is.

TRENDING THREADS