[SOLVED] Chicken pox artifacts and freezing/crashing

Feb 28, 2020
Someone please help and tell me what is wrong with my PC. I'm getting artifacts all over both monitors and freezing/crashing while gaming and I don't know what the cause is.

I have literally undergone pretty much a brand new build in trying to fix this issue. Although all of the components in my PC were but a year and a half old, I've replaced most of them to fix this issue and to no avail.

I have RMA'd the GPU, bought newer, larger, and faster RAM, bought a top of the line motherboard and yet the problem still persists.

Build:
-i7-8700k (De-lidded)
-Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master (UPGRADED)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING (RMA)
-Corsair LPX 32GB (2X16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 (UPGRADED)
-EVGA Supernova 650 G2, 80+ Gold 650W
-Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 (For OS)

I upgraded from a MSI Z370-A PRO motherboard and from Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 RAM. I also de-lidded myself without ever overclocking anything just to keep thermals lower and with the prospect of OC'ing one day in mind.

So as I've said before, short of replacing the CPU and PSU, I've completely undergone a new build and still this problem rears its ugly head. I never thought that a CPU could cause graphical artifacts like that or perhaps maybe it's the monitors?? I have a dual Acer Predator 2560x1440p 144Hz monitor setup. Or perhaps it's the Display Port cables??? I just don't know. I'm scratching my head on this one constantly.

I have ordered a new i9-9900k and will update once I recieve it and install it. Will not be de-lidding this one.

Here is what the problem looks like on the monitors before it goes even more haywire and then either crashing the game or restarting my PC with no BSOD or any other error messages after the fact..

Picture link:
View: https://imgur.com/a/s5dCoyb

Solution
What about if I have already tried 3 different GPU's in there? Could it be the CPU causing this because I had some tiny microscopic mistake in the delid process? Even though this problem just started up recently in the last month or so after over a year of having this build with the same delidded 8700k and no issues.

So the 3 GPUs I tried were the first 1080ti before I RMA'd it, this old GTX 770 I had laying around that I put in to hold me over until the replacement 1080 came.. and now the replacement is also producing the same artifacts and freezing/crashing/restarting
Have you tried any of the cards in different computers? It could be many things causing the issue. It could be that EVGA keeps sending back the same GPU...
-EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING (RMA)

View: https://imgur.com/a/s5dCoyb
The artifacts you have is related to the memory being either clocked too high or faulty memory. Download and install MSI Afterburner and lower the speed on GPU Memory Clock by around 75-100Mhz to see if it fixes the issue. You might need to reduce it a bit more than that and then dial it in at 25Mhz or smaller increments to find where the artifacts go away at the fastest speed possible. The reference memory speed of the 1080 ti is 1376Mhz times 8 and yours is 1377Mhz. If doing this doesn't fix it, you will need to RMA the card again.

Feb 28, 2020
The artifacts you have is related to the memory being either clocked too high or faulty memory. Download and install MSI Afterburner and lower the speed on GPU Memory Clock by around 75-100Mhz to see if it fixes the issue. You might need to reduce it a bit more than that and then dial it in at 25Mhz or smaller increments to find where the artifacts go away at the fastest speed possible. The reference memory speed of the 1080 ti is 1376Mhz times 8 and yours is 1377Mhz. If doing this doesn't fix it, you will need to RMA the card again.

What about if I have already tried 3 different GPU's in there? Could it be the CPU causing this because I had some tiny microscopic mistake in the delid process? Even though this problem just started up recently in the last month or so after over a year of having this build with the same delidded 8700k and no issues.

So the 3 GPUs I tried were the first 1080ti before I RMA'd it, this old GTX 770 I had laying around that I put in to hold me over until the replacement 1080 came.. and now the replacement is also producing the same artifacts and freezing/crashing/restarting

Have you tried any of the cards in different computers? It could be many things causing the issue. It could be that EVGA keeps sending back the same GPU, because they are either not testing it or not finding any issues. It could be either the CPU or the CPU socket pins or maybe the PCIE 16x slot you are using for the GPUs. Have you tried using a GPU in any of the other slots? Did the GTX 770 have any issues?

The artifacting you have is a known issue with the GTX 1080 and 1080 TI and I guess it's usually down to bad soldering on the memory chips. So if your GTX 770 works fine, but every 1080 TI has the same issue, it's probably a problem with the cards and EVGA techs maybe being lazy. If you RMA the card again, make note of the serial number. Take some pictures of the card and compare them to the replacement. You could ask if you can get an alternative card back as an equivalent replacement like RTX 2070 Super or 2080. It doesn't always work, but you can sometimes ask for a lower end model like the 1080 or 2060 Super/2070.

Solution
Feb 28, 2020
Have you tried any of the cards in different computers? It could be many things causing the issue. It could be that EVGA keeps sending back the same GPU, because they are either not testing it or not finding any issues. It could be either the CPU or the CPU socket pins or maybe the PCIE 16x slot you are using for the GPUs. Have you tried using a GPU in any of the other slots? Did the GTX 770 have any issues?

The artifacting you have is a known issue with the GTX 1080 and 1080 TI and I guess it's usually down to bad soldering on the memory chips. So if your GTX 770 works fine, but every 1080 TI has the same issue, it's probably a problem with the cards and EVGA techs maybe being lazy. If you RMA the card again, make note of the serial number. Take some pictures of the card and compare them to the replacement. You could ask if you can get an alternative card back as an equivalent replacement like RTX 2070 Super or 2080. It doesn't always work, but you can sometimes ask for a lower end model like the 1080 or 2060 Super/2070.

I think I was mistaken about it also happening on the 770 I tried it again and it seems to be stable. So the issue seems to only happen with the 1080 Ti with both the original one I had and the RMA card. I'm going to go ahead and cancel my i9-9900k purchase and instead put that money towards a new Asus ROG Strix 2080 Ti OC and a new PSU to go up to 750w from my current 650w unit since now that I am pretty certain that my delid of the 8700k is good I plan to go ahead with the OC'ing and want to be safe power wise.