[SOLVED] chieftec Burned 6pin to 4x sata, need to find a new replacement cabel picture included

Solution
Pcie connections are rated at 5A per 12v pin.
Sata is rated at 4.5A per connector @ 12v.

Do the math, that pcie was never intended to power 5x Sata at anything close to sata rated draw.

Your issue isn't just a really bad psu, it's the fact you are using a single chain on equipment that can draw more through 5x Sata connections than a 6pin pcie can supply.

I'd strongly suggest you use 2 chains in future, no matter if using that psu or another.
So im running a mining rig, and one of my cables that goes to the risers are burned, i believe its a 6pin to 5x (sata?) is burned, and i need help where i can buy a new cable that will work on that psu, i know u can just take cables from a diffrent psu and connect to this psu

its for this PSU chieftec

Hello my friend

using other psu's cables is NEVER a good idea, unless it's the exact model and brand

Also, that chieftec psu is crap tier, you are lucky it's just this that happened, mining really taxes your psu and the cheap/crappy ones give out fast, much like what happened to you

Invest in an a brand psu, like corsair, seasonic etc with a bronze or better rating
try to give yourself some headroom watt-wise (if you need 1000 watts for example go with a 1200 watt psu

Reactions: King_V and Krotow
Jan 19, 2021
it was a typo, i know cables from diffrent psu dont work on other psu's, i see people say its a bad psu, but my question is, is there somewhere i can buy a new cable for that, or do i need to buy a complete new psu?

USAFRet

Titan
it was a typo, i know cables from diffrent psu dont work on other psu's, i see people say its a bad psu, but my question is, is there somewhere i can buy a new cable for that, or do i need to buy a complete new psu?
And why did that cable melt?

I suspect it was being pushed too hard. Some component was trying to suck its required power, and that PSU couldn't keep up.
A replacement cable will do the same thing.

Reactions: Nemesia

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie connections are rated at 5A per 12v pin.
Sata is rated at 4.5A per connector @ 12v.

Do the math, that pcie was never intended to power 5x Sata at anything close to sata rated draw.

Your issue isn't just a really bad psu, it's the fact you are using a single chain on equipment that can draw more through 5x Sata connections than a 6pin pcie can supply.

I'd strongly suggest you use 2 chains in future, no matter if using that psu or another.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution