Child app or program block?

Tabathavm

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
Is there a better way or program that I can download to be able to block and only allow certian apps/programs on my desktop? I have set up a user account login for my kids and have set to block certain websites (through the Microsoft website) but it has never worked. They can still access these site with no problems.(I have even verified that these websites are listed as blocked on the Microsoft site under their login). I would also like to be able to prevent them from using certain programs also.

Edit:I have already followed the Microsoft instruction per the link the person blow submitted. This is NOT what I want. I have on it right. It isbt effective. I want a seperate program that will let me choose what to block individually.

Solution

Look, there is no program that works 100%. The ONLY thing that works 100% is supervision. If you don't trust your kids not to go to sketchy sites, you shouldn't be leaving them alone with a computer. And yes, the reason I got past security was a lack of supervision. Bypassing security isn't an instant thing, it takes days and weeks of trial and error, research, and messing with the system to get right.

If you just want to block certain sites, edit your lmhosts so that the site URL points to 127.0.0.1. If you want more control...

Did you remember to set the child accounts to child account mode and enable them? Are you sure they are using that account and not your normal login?

Anyway, your actual issue is that you aren't supervising your children. Work on that first, any blocks you put in place can be removed very easily (hell, I disabled $10000 specialized equipment for just that at my school when I was just starting highschool)

Tabathavm

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
Really? My issue is I am not supervising my kids?? (I guess your admittance to getting past security is due to your parents/teachers lack of supervision huh?)

Ok..while I wait for a real answer......

I do not want someone telling how to make the win 10 childs settings work. I DO NoT LIKE IT!! I want a dufderent program altogether. Yes I know how to use it and it is enabled and they so login on their side.. I'm not an idiot

Look, there is no program that works 100%. The ONLY thing that works 100% is supervision. If you don't trust your kids not to go to sketchy sites, you shouldn't be leaving them alone with a computer. And yes, the reason I got past security was a lack of supervision. Bypassing security isn't an instant thing, it takes days and weeks of trial and error, research, and messing with the system to get right.

If you just want to block certain sites, edit your lmhosts so that the site URL points to 127.0.0.1. If you want more control, http://us.norton.com/norton-security-with-backup

Nothing though will be as effective and long term beneficial as teaching your kids proper computer use and making unsupervised use a privilege they must earn.

Solution

Tabathavm

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
My main concern isn't about what websites they go to. I was using the win 10 child protection as an example of it not working. I have followed all the directions to the T! I have verified that Facebook and YouTube are on the block list..I can go in there and see that they are listed under the block list however it still does not block them....which is okay I guess I can just shut the internet down if I have to if my kids are really young anyway. goingIts nor like rheir gonna be looking at bad stuff anyway..
my main desire was to block programs from my four year old.. from accidentally going in settings and stuff and changing things which has already happened. I shall leave you at this point since I see that no one is helpful and they keep repeating the same answer over and over after I specifically stated I want a different program so I will look to a different forum

1) Looks like you didn't look at the link I gave you... Go take a look at Norton Internet Security
2) Website blocking works ONLY on Win 10+IE/spartan. If you installed chrome or firefox, the problem is with you
3) You can block programs in Win 10 using the link provided by Laptop_Nerd
4) If you are leaving a 4 year old unattended with a computer, you have bigger issues to consider.