China Closes the Door on Micron

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sooner all these tech companies move production the hell out of China, the better. They are doing nothing but creating a bigger snake every year by staying there. Vietnam is a new and upcomer in manufacturing in the Asian region with affordable labor, so perhaps GPU AIB vendors, SSD makers, and the like that Bit references above can just move there, to Taiwan, Malaysia, South Korea, Philippines, etc. Even India could be an option. All have major ports for support of the largest container ships.

Remember it was not that many years ago when hard drives were made in Malaysia and Taiwan. I still have many laying around as old backup data drives. Unfortunately, Japan has just gotten too expensive for most of the hardware tech companies to invest in new manufacturing facilities there. Never mind their earthquake prone region. The bottom line here is that China is now becoming the regional bully and throwing its weight around, and not just in the Pacific Rim region.

They have already stated they plan on making inroads globally to compete against the US and EU nations in global manufacturing industry. By all means necessary including building military infrastructure to protect, and I quote General Secretary Xi Jinping, "their best interests abroad." We cannot continue to support a growing monster that shows no holding back on becoming more aggressive and belligerent to its neighbors. Especially Japan.

"When there is war, there will always be casualties, and Micron Technology is the latest U.S. company to get caught in the middle of the United States' trade war with China."

"The Idaho-based chipmaker is convinced that UMC and Jinhua's lawsuit is nothing more than a revenge tactic to get back at Micron for the criminal and civil lawsuits filed by the Taiwanese authorities and Micron against UMC and three of its employees for the misappropriation of Micron trade secrets."

Which is it ? Issues resulting from a trade war or from a lawsuit ?

Sounds like Liu is leading into the article by taking an unsubstantiated cheap shot at the President for doing whats right for America and addressing the ridiculous 507 billion dollar trade deficit with China...

Jul 7, 2018
As an American consumer, I'd be willing to pay a bit more for products built outside of China as they are becoming too belligerent to deal with on a business level. they obviously conveniently forgot, it's the American consumer that lifted many of them out of poverty. Yeah, they have a large population, but that population has had jobs thanks to the American consumer again. Take away those jobs, they go back to harvesting rice. It is what it is.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I'm sure the majority of their exports now go to markets other than the US. We'd have more clout if we could've stood together with our allies... before we slapped them all in the face.

Jul 7, 2018
It's almost as if we should be able to make our own computers.....

Fiat currency is counterfeit currency. Ask yourselves what foreigners are buying with fake money they can only use in the USA, and yet we are at a constant trade deficit.

It's called bribery.

Trade deficit is the predictable effect of using OUR money as a global reserve. Triffin Dilemma. Nixon Shock.

Trump is fixing the system, not breaking it. It's been broken for decades.

Croc Ography

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Go China! I am also so tired of the USAs unfair trade polices against Canada, Mexico, Europe and China.

In this case the Chinese were so nice to the USA giving them inexpensive goods and working like dogs to do it. Chinese products are just as good as American products and most of the time are of better quality for less money. Great value!

Go China, Trump started it, now let the rest of the world finish it for them.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Um... the tariffs only just went into effect. Prior to that, I believe the were no unfair trade policies against those countries.

They didn't do it out of generosity. In the short run, inexpensive products are a benefit to people whose jobs were't outsourced. In the long run, people need jobs and China has a history of selling below-cost to drive competitors out of business. Once they've established a monopoly on a particular sector, prices start to rise.

In general, the best scenario is for fair competition and an open marketplace. I'm not a free trade fundamentalist, but I think mercantilism needs to be kept in check.

dennisgun

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
You guys are being played by the author like a fool. UMC is a Taiwanese company, not mainland China. The author purposely omit this fact inorder to arouse readers reaction to the US-China trade dispute. In reality, it is just a strategic competition between two global companies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Um, what about Fujian Jinhua Integrated Circuit Co.?

And why was this lawsuit filed in the Fuzhou Intermediate People’s Court in Fujian province? And wouldn't that mean the Chinese government issued the preliminary injunction?

Based on what you've presented, yours is the more superficial analysis. If you have more, please share.

Status
Not open for further replies.