China Moves Toward One CPU Architecture to Rule Them All

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Enforcing one architecture means necessarily excluding others. If they strictly enforce a single architecture among manufacturers, and disallow other possibilities, they are shooting themselves in the foot by restricting innovation. The whole reason a variety of architectures are roaming the marketplace is because consumers have a use for them. If one instruction set met all consumer requirements to begin with, there would be only one kind of instruction set. Suppose an revolutionary instruction set is invented in ten years, the Chinese will lag behind the rest of the world because government officials cannot evolve as fast as a free market.
Centrally planned shenanigans like this will hurt the Chinese people. A government should not needlessly take away the rights of the consumers to choose the product they want to buy just because a bureaucrat thinks they have an original idea.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]Comment removed by moderator[/citation]
I dont get it, why would you care about some other country's policy? If they want to squash competition and impoverish themselves, it is their right and no other nation has the right to interfere in their internal affairs unless they have signed some kind of trade treaty.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]I dont get it, why would you care about some other country's policy? If they want to squash competition and impoverish themselves, it is their right and no other nation has the right to interfere in their internal affairs unless they have signed some kind of trade treaty.[/citation]
Some of us would like to access that market for Sale. We open our market to them, and they in return impose huge tariffs and go out of their way to make sure they don't buy western products. Kinda lop sided eh?

G

Unified Architecture? In China? Hmmm... I guess it this will be the first ever CPU with implemented hardware censorship.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
bringmeanother,

While we do lack the moral authority to use violence to impose our preferences on others, that does not apply to non-violent methods. No person or collective has a right to not be criticized.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Some of us would like to access that market for Sale. We open our market to them, and they in return impose huge tariffs and go out of their way to make sure they don't buy western products. Kinda lop sided eh?[/citation]
You sound just like the British's justification for the Opium wars.

Force a nation to accept narcotics on the basis on non-interference of free trade, the simple fact is (according to modern international law), you have no right to any country's market, at all.

PS: The US does the same thing, protectionist cotton policies cost Mali $70 million and Brazil $120 million, home oil production is cheaper, etc.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Some of us would like to access that market for Sale. We open our market to them, and they in return impose huge tariffs and go out of their way to make sure they don't buy western products. Kinda lop sided eh?[/citation]

Here is the problem. You just expressed what you, as a foreigner (American?), desires and it is irrelevant to the Chinese, just like what the Chinese wants is irrelevant to you. Look, nation states will always try to do what they perceive as their national interest even tho in this instance I believe it is a short sighted choice, the is no reason to be surprised or angry at them for doing what they perceive as their national interest, even if that choice hurts or benefits some other nation.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]Look, nation states will always try to do what they perceive as their national interest[/citation]

Nation states will continue to do what they believe to be in their own self interest only so long as their populations continue to believe that the existence of the nation state is in their own self interest. When that is no longer true we will transition to some new political structure. What that may be and whether it is to the benefit or determent of humanity depends on the battle of ideas.

G

You really know you are communist when everyone has the same CPU.

Anyone caught overclocking the communist CPU will be immediately executed. :p

michaeladebose

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
This is an interesting development and may be the wave of the future. Taken with the decision of many of our European allies to move to opensource software and away from US proprietary solutions, gaining them greater control to alter said platforms and potentially less US familiarity with what they're using, its clear sovereign IT security is driving these decisions.

Having a home grown UPU and the accompanying custom OS doesn't remove extra-continental security threats but it greatly decreases the number of people that will be familiar with it and thus capable of hacking it. Obviously, what will be used in the public sector isn't what will be used in the secure sector but many currently understood and even some planned threats might get sidestepped altogether. Indeed.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder if this is motivated more more out of a desire to control what software is available to its people. Or if it's just driven by commercial interests.

Either way, the potential exists for it to hurt them, commercially. Then again, look at how x86 has played to Intel's advantage.

One of the great security measures - security by obscurity.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
[citation][nom]sabot00[/nom]PS: The US does the same thing, protectionist cotton policies cost Mali $70 million and Brazil $120 million, home oil production is cheaper, etc.[/citation]Yeah, and Brazil sued the US for it, and now the US is paying Billions, anually, in fines. I don't know about Mali.

[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]I believe it is a short sighted choice, the is no reason to be surprised or angry at them for doing what they perceive as their national interest, even if that choice hurts or benefits some other nation.[/citation]Actually, I think you're half-right. No reason to be surprised. However, for capitalism to work, you need to have a level playing field. When one group tries to bias the system in some way, the fairness and effectiveness of the whole system is compromised. That's why I think there's just cause to be angry about governments doing anti-competitive things.

What I worry about is how this move may affect me as a user of computers and electronic goods. Is their architecture going to handicap the performance of any code running on it that wasn't digitally signed by the Chinese Government?

sixpac502

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
lol a Chinese cpu with 200% more built in spyware.I wonder if they will sell it in their fake apple stores and deliver it in their fake ford f150 trucks while wearing a fake pair of dickies work clothes.It will be called the shintell icy bwridge lol hahahahaha.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]I wonder if this is motivated more more out of a desire to control what software is available to its people. Or if it's just driven by commercial interests.Either way, the potential exists for it to hurt them, commercially. Then again, look at how x86 has played to Intel's advantage.[/citation]

Correct on both counts.
They will control the flow of information, and they will control the hardware that was being used and profit...
As soon as their "UPU" is up and running they will kick out intel and everyone else and force their people to buy the upu and throw their intel/amd based units away immediately.

[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]I wonder if this is motivated more more out of a desire to control what software is available to its people. Or if it's just driven by commercial interests.Either way, the potential exists for it to hurt them, commercially. Then again, look at how x86 has played to Intel's advantage.[/citation]
That is exactly what I was thinking. Control the CPU and you automatically gain control over the software and abilities of the computers to do things. All of the sudden you get the old P4 technology that broadcasts your CPU whenever you do something online, which is tied directly to you as an individual. Also it becomes a way for the government to get into the OS and document programs of every citizen in the market. Anyone designing anything that has buzz words in it could immediately be flagged and watched more easily.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
they should buy amd! simple as that! AMD/ATI is already red! ;p
I rly don't think they will not sell this to others.. thats what they do, and will keep doing ;p NOW Intel could have some serious competitor... Intel x China? Who wins? In a decade... I say China! haha

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
1. Make a CPU architecture & get everyone to use it.
2. Cripple any code not digitally signed by the Chinese Government.
3. ???
4. Profit!

If they follow this scheme, they can create a huge competitive advantage for their own domestic software vendors. If a foreigner wants to get their code signed, the Chinese could require it be submitted for "security review", which could take an arbitrarily long time and carry huge fees.

This could open huge new vistas for both government control and really put foreign software vendors at a disadvantage. They could even use it to prevent any OS from running on the chip that doesn't have back doors created for them.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dreadlokz[/nom]they should buy amd! simple as that! AMD/ATI is already red! ;p I rly don't think they will not sell this to others.. thats what they do, and will keep doing ;p NOW Intel could have some serious competitor... Intel x China? Who wins? In a decade... I say China! haha[/citation]
yes :D with the capital and fund they have for R&D and Fab, will bring the RED new AMD to life and be competitive, it will be good for all us the consumers

Status
Not open for further replies.