News China Speeds Up Replacement of Western PCs and Other Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022
the sanctions just sped up the transition, US can't keep a giant on a leash, China's own market is big enough to keep sales and revenue for R&D of new products flowing. the question for the replacement was not if but when. The one concerned should be Russia, will shift a technological master for another.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
One of the bigger long-term risks I see is that they start developing their own technology standards - networking protocols, cabling & interconnect standards, etc. Then, by virtue of their size and scale, they produce & export so many products implementing these new standards to neutral & fairly green field markets, like much of South America, Africa, and parts of Asia, that the West has to adopt China's standards if they want to play in those markets. That would put the West at a potential disadvantage.

Hopefully this isn’t seen as to political, but if I were them I wouldn’t want to feel like I was dependent on tech from other players if I felt I were at odds with them. I’ll just leave it at that.

But as someone above said, they’ve gotten quite a bit of influence in Africa and South America as well as other areas I’m sure. They’ve got some companies making their own gpus, as well as they seem to be doing decently at making ssds as well so they appear to not be too far off of making the entire pc themselves. If they can get CPUs and motherboard chipset combos rivaling even the Intel 7000 series that would be pretty good and I’m sure would accelerate as time went on. If you could achieve this and sell for a lower price or subsidize it to incentivize others to try the new tech, it’s not hard to imagine you’d make inroads in emerging markets which could make you a lot more money down the road.

Oct 19, 2023
makes sense, why would you keep using a tech that might have hidden backdoors in it. Its same argument used against using Chinese tech. It goes both ways.
China's tech will have it's own "backdoors". That is what is important to the CCP.

Timmy!

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
makes sense, why would you keep using a tech that might have hidden backdoors in it. Its same argument used against using Chinese tech. It goes both ways.

The article doesn't mention security being a concern as far as hardware goes, so maybe China is too subtle to raise that as part of its rationale. Some years ago, Germany looked like it might go for typewriters in government work instead of using US hardware, over concerns about the US spying on them. The US and Germany are allies, don't forget.

The article in the link below mentions this, as does the German government reportedly banning iPhones use for intra-governmental communications:

Not sure how that typewriter suggestion developed.

It would be nice to have the choice of not being spied on by either the US or China when you are just an ordinary citizen. Maybe it should be opt-in?

Status
Not open for further replies.