News China's chipmaking champion struggles —SMIC fab warns that it could see declined profits due to increasingly tense economy and geopolitics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is to be expected when trying to compete with TSMC without access to EUV. Their 7nm and 5nm processes are defect ridden and require quad patterning steps which raises both SMIC’s cost to produce chips as well as the price they can offer their customers. I think at some point the PRC government will either step in with subsidies or nationalize the firm as SMIC is too important to domestic chip production to lose.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
Its intriguing that the U.S. believes they need an export license to keep things in China just because they use U.S. technology. Are they talking about machinery?

Reactions: Order 66

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
Well, this is to be expected when trying to compete with TSMC without access to EUV. Their 7nm and 5nm processes are defect ridden and require quad patterning steps which raises both SMIC’s cost to produce chips as well as the price they can offer their customers. I think at some point the PRC government will either step in with subsidies or nationalize the firm as SMIC is too important to domestic chip production to lose.
TSMC didn't use ASML high na EUV soon.

Jan 6, 2024
More like competing to the US government. I think China wouldn't have so much initiative to forcefully create their own equipments needed to produce microprocessors if not of the Bans.

Co BIY

Splendid
B-but Tom's articles told me over the past month that China was going to beat the West in chip manufacture and that the sanctions are worthless...

I disagree that Tom's put forward that view. Chinese firms sometimes put out positive press about their progress that Tom's reported even when their tech executives often gave more realistic statements, that Tom's also covered.

Some comment posters definitely put down the line that sanctions were worthless because they wouldn't work, but they were balanced by others in the forum.

OTOH

20% margins last year and 11% probably next year - That is about average for the S&P 500. They are not going out of business,

Last edited:
Reactions: Order 66
What does this have anything to do with what I said? TSMC uses 13nm single pattern feature size limit EUV for its 7nm and smaller processes while SMIC is forced by sanctions to use 45nm single pattern feature size limit immersion DUV in a quad pattern method to reduce feature size to EUV levels which is defect ridden and costly.

Regular EUV can easily be utilized to create 2nm and 1.5nm processes using double patterning method. It’s when you go above double patterning that the defect rate makes viability questionable which is the point that TSMC is anticipating purchasing high NA EUV for its 1nm and smaller processes.

Jan 6, 2024
What does this have anything to do with what I said? TSMC uses 13nm single pattern feature size limit EUV for its 7nm and smaller processes while SMIC is forced by sanctions to use 45nm single pattern feature size limit immersion DUV in a quad pattern method to reduce feature size to EUV levels which is defect ridden and costly.

Regular EUV can easily be utilized to create 2nm and 1.5nm processes using double patterning method. It’s when you go above double patterning that the defect rate makes viability questionable which is the point that TSMC is anticipating purchasing high NA EUV for its 1nm and smaller processes.
I think he commented that SMIC is not really trying to compete but they are just using any technology possible that is in their possesion since they cannot western tech. I think at this point, SMIC is trying to produce products for Huawei only. I also read that SMIC is charging Huawei more in their services.

Ps. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think he commented that SMIC is not really trying to compete but they are just using any technology possible that is in their possesion since they cannot western tech. I think at this point, SMIC is trying to produce products for Huawei only. I also read that SMIC is charging Huawei more in their services.

Ps. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Correct, they are charging Huawei more, so they SMIC can have some form of margin.

Reactions: xterx1234
Status
Not open for further replies.