News China's Domestic 7nm Gaming GPU Should Arrive in 2025

RedBear87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Oh, those might become handy if Biden, before leaving office, will ban even the export of RTX gaming GPUs after banning the sales of A100 and H100 accelerators; I guess they'll be good to play Fortnite in an internet cafe or something like that.

Reactions: artk2219 and KyaraM

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I wonder if they stole the technology or if it's homegrown.

A hard one to answer, but giving how many other companies produce GPU's are there many other ways to make a GPU without standing on their shoulders?

Edit: They could also designed it so they are not infringing someone else patents, guess as someone on YouTube would say "tell will tell"

Reactions: artk2219
Sep 1, 2022
simple answer - not possible not technology nobody will sell Sanction Working - like when whey buy PS3 to XBOX to do whey "Super" Computer

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I'm confused. That doesn't sound very simple.
I think its a reference to DPRK running PS3s in unison to create a "super computer" many years ago. Therefore how could heavily sanctioned states produce their own software and hardware IP?

While i agree with the suggestion its a quite old example. And in chinese terms 7nm lithography means?

"self-developed core IP from scratch, and independently designed GPU architecture and instruction set.” if Intel is struggling with gpus, metaX must have the best engineering in the world.
Considering the way current drivers are going, I wouldn't be surprised if they developed the low-level drivers (Vulkan, DirectX 12, maybe Metal) and ran older API emulations on top of these - like Intel decided to do for their future GPU releases and Valve is doing currently (with an actual modicum of success) on the Steam deck. That would pretty much solve the driver problem right away. After that, considering Larrabee was a failure essentially because the 486 µ-arch it was based on is bloated and inefficient, they could simply use one of the RISC-V designs out there, massively parallelize it and call it a day - but I doubt it.

Reactions: gg83

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
"self-developed core IP from scratch, and independently designed GPU architecture and instruction set.” if Intel is struggling with gpus, metaX must have the best engineering in the world.

It's actually not that hard to design a gpu. The hard part is trying to compete with amd/Nvidia in terms of performance. As long as they are not trying to do that, they can easily design a decent gpu, decent as in several generations behind. But still able to run.

Reactions: gg83