News China's First 7nm GPU Nears Mass Production, Pics Emerge

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
Reversed engineered card from several generations ago I’m sure.
You are still thinking about China 20 years ago. It dont need to copy anymore, it create product occident is not able to match yet. It got some of the biggest brains in the world. They catched up by copying, but now they are getting ahead of us because we are sitting on our ass thinking of how great we are.

Reactions: VforV
Apr 2, 2021
This is excellent. But China needs to make sure they have the equipment. Until we can make sure west has been taken out of entire global supply & financial chain, it's on. We can't make same mistake we made after ww2.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
i do hope that is a joke...

China still pays ppl to give them info/products secretly today.

sure, they CAN make their own stuff from scratch, but they have no issue stealing to save them work.

As you said, probably stole the technology from AMD or Nvidia. That's what China is good at, stealing.

bernieo

Commendable
Oct 29, 2020
hurry up and catch up with Amd and Nvidia ,they have pissed me off with the lack of 3080's .
ill show them what happens, when they mess with their customer base. Its called payback .

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I like how US liked to mock China for decades now, how they only copy and steal (yeah, like the US does not spy and steal when they need to from any and all countries in the world since they made themselves the World Police - hypocrisy?). Sure China copied and stole for dozens of years, but now they got far enough and big enough to make it on their own.

Murica degraded so much in the last 30 years that, me as an European, I consider it a horrible country nowadays. I would not live in the US if you payed me millions $$$. I care about other things more than money.

I don't like China better either for different reasons, but I do like this new competition from China. And I also laugh how blind some muricans astill are thinking they can stop China. The best you can do is slow it down a little (as Trump tried/did), but nothing more than that. We are long past the point of no return both in the decline of US and the inability to stop China in any way...

The main issue here is that it's going to be tough to separate their legit cards from counterfeits. I don't like buying Chinese products because of how lightly their government cares about consumer protection.

A bigger issue for the US than China is how we're also dramatically lowering the quality of American products and brands. Why not try a discount store version when the American name brand is also trash that breaks right away?

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
China is something else than wish or aliexpress. yes, they have cheap copy, but that is just a minute percentage of their market. If your knowledge of china dont go further than Wish, you are the reason why USA is loosing its leader place. get your head out of the sand.

Reactions: Dragoon99
Apr 2, 2021
This is stupid
Most USians don't know what engineering is. But they quite like to use the word "reverse engineering ". This is like their Manhattan project. No clue about fission but magically came out with the bomb. They always have been School failed PhD wannabes in core science.

Reactions: Dragoon99

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
This is stupid. As I've mentioned before, the Chinese government owns Imagination Technologies. Why the heck would they reverse engineer AMD or Nvidia old tech when they've already bought a more power-efficient design?

Imagination Technologies is British, China just happens to own majority stake/stock in the company, so I don't think they don't own the technology. Imagination is a closer partner to Apple and helps Apple develop GPU tech in their ARM SOCs.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
You are still thinking about China 20 years ago. It dont need to copy anymore, it create product occident is not able to match yet. It got some of the biggest brains in the world. They catched up by copying, but now they are getting ahead of us because we are sitting on our ass thinking of how great we are.
Yes they may not be copying but they could be infringing on someone's IP

Reactions: gg83

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Imagination Technologies is British, China just happens to own majority stake/stock in the company, so I don't think they don't own the technology. Imagination is a closer partner to Apple and helps Apple develop GPU tech in their ARM SOCs.

Closer partner? Apple's abrupt decision to build their own GPU while stiffing Imagination on patent royalties was what drove the latter to the auction block.