News China's Moore Threads MTT S80 GPU Lags Behind GT 1030 in Gaming Showdown

The power consumption is really enormous. Luckily though, as evident from the review the card did run cool at 44C temps but that's the only good thing about it so far.

There were also instances where the card did not even run some games due to API and software compatibility issues. Given all these issues, the MTT S80 graphics card may not be that good of a side option even for the Chinese/ASIAN market.

Moores-Threads-MTT-S80-Chinese-Gaming-Graphics-Card-Performance-Games-_3.png

As interesting this may sound, the card was able to run the CRYSIS game. D3D9 version only though. lol

View: https://twitter.com/Loeschzwerg_3DC/status/1621573247383773184

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'd love to hear some more details on why they're believed to use Imagination IP, in these GPUs. I find it very surprising they perform so poorly, if true.

I know it's not trivial to scale up something like a GPU, but given how much success Apple had with Imagination, I'd have thought it would work much better.

BTW, did anyone profile the CPU, to see if the performance bottlenecks seem to be in the driver code, itself? I just wonder if maybe Imagination doesn't have Windows drivers, and maybe MT simply took their Linux/OpenGL driver and tried to reuse bits and pieces of it in the Windows/D3D driver framework. Where there are mismatches, it could involve a lot of overhead that I think would mainly show up as higher host CPU load.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

The power consumption is really enormous. Luckily though, as evident from the review the card did run cool at 44C temps but that's the only good thing about it so far.

There were also instances where the card did not even run some games due to API and software compatibility issues. Given all these issues, the MTT S80 graphics card may not be that good of a side option even for the Chinese/ASIAN market.

Moores-Threads-MTT-S80-Chinese-Gaming-Graphics-Card-Performance-Games-_3.png

As interesting this may sound, the card was able to run the CRYSIS game. D3D9 version only though. lol

View: https://twitter.com/Loeschzwerg_3DC/status/1621573247383773184
Nyce. It’s only gonna get better

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I’m pretty sure the last time I had a PowerVR based desktop card was a PCI one in the mid to late 90s, but hard to recall. It might have been a S3 Virge at that point as well.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I’m pretty sure the last time I had a PowerVR based desktop card was a PCI one in the mid to late 90s, but hard to recall.
They did start out making PC graphics card chipsets! I think the last ones shipped back in 2000. They also made the GPU in the Sega Dreamcast.

They later flirted with selling hardware raytracing accelerator cards, but I'm not sure whatever came of these:

Reactions: Sluggotg
I’m pretty sure the last time I had a PowerVR based desktop card was a PCI one in the mid to late 90s, but hard to recall. It might have been a S3 Virge at that point as well.

Yes they were. It was the first tile renderer. They were bought by VIA And they incorporated tech by bitboys from Finland. Remember them?

PowerVR graphics are still used as the 3d chips for a number of smart phones due to its power efficiency.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Had a feeling they were borrowing old S3 PowerVR ip
Yes they were. It was the first tile renderer. They were bought by VIA And they incorporated tech by bitboys from Finland. Remember them?
Woah, let's get a few things straight:
  • S3's graphics business was bought by VIA, and then later sold on to HTC
  • PowerVR is by Imagination Technologies, which is UK-based, but now owned by a Chinese-backed private equity group.
  • BitBoys, OY was acquired by ATI and then sold on to Qualcomm, forming the basis of its Adreno GPUs. Interestingly, they still have offices in the same building as part of AMD's graphics group.

None of those companies you mentioned collaborated in any way, as far as I can tell.

PowerVR graphics are still used as the 3d chips for a number of smart phones due to its power efficiency.
Uh, not much since Apple dumped them and MediaTek switched to using ARM's Mali GPUs.

Maybe some off-brand phone SoCs use them? They've definitely fallen on hard times since Apple dumped them, which is why they were delisted and bought by that private equity firm. I think have largely been kept afloat by IP licensing fees that Apple is paying them.

They're trying to reinvent themselves as a one-stop IP shop for RISC-V based SoCs, analogous to what ARM has become. So, you can go to them and license all of the blocks you need for your own SoC: Graphics, CPU, memory controller, interconnect, etc.

Woah, let's get a few things straight:
  • S3's graphics business was bought by VIA, and then later sold on to HTC
  • PowerVR is by Imagination Technologies, which is UK-based, but now owned by a Chinese-backed private equity group.
  • BitBoys, OY was acquired by ATI and then sold on to Qualcomm, forming the basis of its Adreno GPUs. Interestingly, they still have offices in the same building as part of AMD's graphics group.
None of those companies you mentioned collaborated in any way, as far as I can tell.

Uh, not much since Apple dumped them and MediaTek switched to using ARM's Mali GPUs.

Maybe some off-brand phone SoCs use them? They've definitely fallen on hard times since Apple dumped them, which is why they were delisted and bought by that private equity firm. I think have largely been kept afloat by IP licensing fees that Apple is paying them.

They're trying to reinvent themselves as a one-stop IP shop for RISC-V based SoCs, analogous to what ARM has become. So, you can go to them and license all of the blocks you need for your own SoC: Graphics, CPU, memory controller, interconnect, etc.

I thought for sure via acquired them and merged with the s3 portfolio after apple dumped them. But I guess I was wrong.

Bitboys used a similar tile approach so I thought it was incorporated when they were sold. Botched that one up as well I guess.

Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: bit_user
D

Deleted member 14196

As we all sit at our screens viewing data that has certainly passed through chinese designed kit at some point between where it's stored and us - I wouldn't mock this early effort, in a few years they could be leading the market.
Yep they will get better. Just look at their vehicles. Excellent quality.

their vehicles will be available for sale very soon in Europe, and the United States and around the world

when Americans see the quality versus the crappy local builds, you’re going to see a mass of people moving to Chinese vehicles

I don’t really see the OEMs (GM in particular) doing all that great in the near future. I think Sandy Munro is right. Ford is more likely to survive

Last edited by a moderator:

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019

their vehicles will be available for sale very soon in Europe, and the United States and around the world

when Americans see the quality versus the crappy local builds, you’re going to see a mass of people moving to Chinese vehicles

I don’t really see the OEMs (GM in particular) doing all that great in the near future. I think Sandy Munro is right. Ford is more likely to survive
There are a lot of us who won't be buying Communist Chinese cars. They have mandatory CCP backdoors for all software in Communist China. If they were made by the Free people of Taiwan, I would certainly consider buying one.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I am assuming they are having severe Driver/Firmware issues. We all know that it is insanely hard for Nvidia, AMD and Intel to write the software for their Video Cards. I am really shocked at the 1030 trouncing their new card. That is very low performance.

D

Deleted member 14196

There are a lot of us who won't be buying Communist Chinese cars. They have mandatory CCP backdoors for all software in Communist China. If they were made by the Free people of Taiwan, I would certainly consider buying one.
The Vietnamese cars are really good. Go check out Vinfast

Reactions: Sluggotg
D

Deleted member 14196

Well you may not but many will. I personally won’t be

I don’t think for a minute that the USA doesn’t have similar back doors into alarm microelectronics in vehicles

hannibal

Distinguished
Well you may not but many will. I personally won’t be

I don’t think for a minute that the USA doesn’t have similar back doors into alarm microelectronics in vehicles

Also how many will use Chinese made cell phones... I think almost everyone...
So hard to see the point of not using Chinese cars for "security" reasons. For other reasons, I can understand easily.

But it is easy to see. GPUs are hard to do and drivers means a lot!
I am still hopeful that these will eventually bring GPU prices down, even a little bit.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022

Stick to what you know, please, Chinese cars are nowhere near quality never mind excellent.

D

Deleted member 14196

Stick to what you know, please, Chinese cars are nowhere near quality never mind excellent.
I believe you’ve been rather misinformed. You know that Volvo is owned by Geeley right? They make polestar and you might want to look into it and that’s one example.

Polstar cars are Chinese and have been for quite some time go and take a look at their quality

they also on the MG brand have you seen any of those cars? Do they look like junk? What are you basing your statements on because I’m basing mine on industry professionals like Sandy Munro.

and if there’s anything I know it’s cars lol most of my life. I’m not afraid to recognize quality when I see it.

every automotive company that is located there had to have a Chinese partner and the sole reason for that is so they could learn this business inside and out and they have. While American cars still have cases of GAPOSIS the gaps on Chinese cars are micro, small and very concise build qualities are excellent. They, like the Japanese took this seriously and wanted to make good cars.

Expect them to take a giant share of the US market in the next few decades

Volvos were never really known for quality they were durable sure but they weren’t the best machines around and since they’re Chinese owners have turned that around. As you can see, the build quality is excellent go check went out in real life if you don’t believe.

Last edited by a moderator: