China's Super Computer is an Intel/AMD Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
The title is extremely miss leading.

''There are a total of 6,144 Intel CPUs and 5,120 AMD GPUs''

As much as I know, AMD does not make GPU's, ATI does AMD makes CPUs, even if their one company they still have their own distinct names and branding.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
After it is installed in Tianjin, we plan to add hundreds or thousands of China-made CPUs to the machine and improve its performance
China is dead serious about making every product they need within its own borders.What's crazier than the notion that they really want to have a completely self contained, non-dependent economy, is the fact that they have the manpower and resources to actually do it.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]China is dead serious about making every product they need within its own borders.What's crazier than the notion that they really want to have a completely self contained, non-dependent economy, is the fact that they have the manpower and resources to actually do it.[/citation]
Most Americans have the same crazy notion, but are just too cheap for it to happen....

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]evolve60[/nom]The title is extremely miss leading. ''There are a total of 6,144 Intel CPUs and 5,120 AMD GPUs''As much as I know, AMD does not make GPU's, ATI does AMD makes CPUs, even if their one company they still have their own distinct names and branding.[/citation]

AMD is technically the flagship name for the company, so this is only misleading to those that don't pay attention.

It would be nice to know which kinds of Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs it is using, like knowing if every single one of them are Core i7 Extremes ;-D

Trauma

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
The fact that AMD & ATI are in bed together or owned by the same people has nothing to do with them being 1 company. In fact they are separate entities altogether. They are owned and operated by the same people but live and die separately. So yes, to answer your question it is bad. It's misleading and should be corrected.

G

[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]But dose it play Crysis??[/citation]
Hell, it could probably perform the calculations to play Crysis Holographic Scale the size of your room and still beat your ass!

- Beam me up Scotty!

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
HERESY~!! SPRAY IT WITH HOLY WATER!! THEN BURN IT!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!! THEN SPRAY IT WITH HOLY WATER AGAIN!!! THIS IS BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE CPU GODS!

/s

r0ck3tm@n

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
What would you use something like that for?

There are calculations this supercomputer won't be able to do in one lifetime and there are some problems that we don't know how to write a program to solve.

I think that we need to take some qualitative steps in other directions in the design of a computer that will solve problems in different ways. However, what I'm seeing is somewhat a step in that direction because using the AMD (sorry ATI) cards is making use of those little gpu core things and this is essentially a move towards a heterogeneous architecture.

I would like to see an attempt at using an analog cpu on a PCIe card for "scientific" computing in the same way these graphics cards are being used.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Intel+AMD+Chinese processor
Hmm
tomorrow we will see a benchmark of those 3, showing that chinese processor beating other to combined...

Intel and AMD check your Security and make sure that nobody can still it like Chinese downloaded 600gb from Worldbank...

Chinese have a manpower to put 40nm processor by hand:)

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
"We plan to add hundreds or thousands of China-made CPUs to the machine and improve its performance."

Seriously? I doubt they can ever get "Thousands of China-made CPUs" to work at the same time. lol

wira020

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Could this thing calculate the formula for world peace?..

Would love to see some Crysis benchmark on this... maybe on a resolution the size of Shanghai 101 Tower... but then, i dont think 5,120-way crossfirex is supported...

G

evolve60 and Trauma: You're both twits. AMD bought ATI. They do not 'exist separately' if somehow one side of the business failed before the other, the other would surely fall immediately thereafter. You might as well try to say that we should call all Via CPUs Cyrix just because Via bought Cyrix more than a decade ago. ATI is a BRAND that is all. Just like Linksys is a brand, bought by Cisco. Same with Alienware and Dell, VoodooPC and HP, etc. etc. Get over it.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation]For a current personal computer, the same calculations would take 160 years to complete.[/citation]

Either you're living in the wrong decade, or you did your math wrong. I'm pretty sure modern computers have more than 217 kiloflops :)

_SirO_

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
China made CPUs & more Performance.

Me wants one if it lasts more than a couple of seconds working & costs less.

Status
Not open for further replies.