News China's Ubuntu Kylin Targets Second RISC-V Board

artk2219

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I guess they're seeing how being tied to a global market for components is working out for Russia and their invasion. I'm sure they're watching very carefully and seeing how they can adjust their plans for Taiwan.

May 17, 2022
China already have Loonggarch ISA; maintaining compatibility with mips, arm and x86 (loongarch is not mips, as mentionned by some documents on the bet) you find loongson in banking systems, and all type of machines in China. Above all, they use it in space station and satellites since more than a decade now. Chineese have a great expertise in MIPS since they work on it for years now.
They have SW isa too for supercomputers as well as others based arm (phytium or hisilicon, alibab's pingtoug), hardware, not forgetting zhaoxing. They also design homegrown GPU and all types of microcontrolers (BYD)
And they are willing to couple this new hardware while working on an entire opensource ecosystem (openEuleur, Openharmony)
They conceive own bios code, own memory (YTMC)
But they still lack many foreign technologies, above all, chip
Kylin have been used in military based on bsd than on linux. US do the same, they are not going to use windows for their military or space, they use redhat instead.
Risc V is just another brick in the wall (not the great one) :)
I think they are 6 years years from being totally independent. China is the only country that can achieve an independant semi conductor ecosystem.
We should note that huawei have been with intel the major linux contributor in terms of written code.
I still can't say what homegrown hardware will be used, i don't see zhaoxing doing it but rather a homegrown RISC cpu. Maybe further evolutions of loongarch, integrating code from risk v. Loongson is opensource. (at least for some cpu)

Reactions: artk2219
May 17, 2022
I guess they're seeing how being tied to a global market for components is working out for Russia and their invasion. I'm sure they're watching very carefully and seeing how they can adjust their plans for Taiwan.

i don't think china waited for russia to see that they should work and invest on semi conductors. It is their main obcession since some years now and us's obcession to block them too. But as the two economies are dependent on each other, thinks are not that simple. That's mainsteam media who have 10 years of lateness or people not specifically knowing this particular industry. China never reacts, they plan

artk2219

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
i don't think china waited for russia to see that they should work and invest on semi conductors. It is their main obcession since some years now and us's obcession to block them too. But as the two economies are dependent on each other, thinks are not that simple. That's mainsteam media who have 10 years of lateness or people not specifically knowing this particular industry. China never reacts, they plan
I agree (also nice PLAN pun :LOL:), that being said I'm sure they've had a bit of an extra impetus to keep to their plans or maybe move up some target dates given that they've seen the worlds reaction to overt aggression, and that was for a country with no defensive pacts. If they're patient they could slow roll the entire area over the next 100 years with minimal fall out from everyone else.

May 17, 2022
I agree (also nice PLAN pun :LOL:), that being said I'm sure they've had a bit of an extra impetus to keep to their plans or maybe move up some target dates given that they've seen the worlds reaction to overt aggression, and that was for a country with no defensive pacts. If they're patient they could slow roll the entire area over the next 100 years with minimal fall out from everyone else.

taiwan are ethnic chineese, and taiwan needs continental china for its economy. They are the same people. I really don't see china trying something there, unless there is a provocation. There are millions of taiwan and continental china sharing same media, same entreprises, same food etc. Military operations around taiwan is aimed against nato, not the island.

As for loongarch, i remember phoronix saying out loud that chineese were liars and used only MIPS instructions. Very strange from them to be so quick trying to sell to everybody the buzz they want to hear. China already developped enhanced MIPS (loongISA), they had no interest in annoucing loongArch if it wasn't new Isa. They juste had to wait because it's code will be opens source.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS