News Chinese chip industry leader asks companies to focus on building innovations using mature nodes

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
China should allocate early more funding to develop spintronic related technologies like Non-Volatile-Memory (NVM) MRAM because it would provide them the opportunity to take technological leadership in beyond CMOS technologies. It is basically what they did with EVs, batteries, solar panels,…

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
On the face of it, less efficient tech can keep pace for a while as long as there's sufficient energy and money propping it up. From reports, China is deploying more nuclear energy than anyone else, and I personally think that's the key tech for enabling the monster datacenters everyone is after. US will fall behind if energy deployment lags too far behind, but there's a strong push against it.

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
On the face of it, less efficient tech can keep pace for a while as long as there's sufficient energy and money propping it up. From reports, China is deploying more nuclear energy than anyone else, and I personally think that's the key tech for enabling the monster datacenters everyone is after. US will fall behind if energy deployment lags too far behind, but there's a strong push against it.
Although it will definitely be a helpful tool, I am not a big believer in the digital AI as it is done at the moment : it is very, very energy inefficient and has its limits.

Somr Intel researchers seems to have shown that spintronics related technologies like Intel MESO concept (or related French research lab Spintec FESO concept) seems more amenable to both digital logic and much more energy efficient ways to do AI.

Therefore China should be investing to develop advanced manufacturing tools to manufacture such technologies as it would allow them to both to sidesteps the US restrictions and leapfrog them (as they did with solar panels, batteries, EVs,…)

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
Although it will definitely be a helpful tool, I am not a big believer in the digital AI as it is done at the moment : it is very, very energy inefficient and has its limits.

Somr Intel researchers seems to have shown that spintronics related technologies like Intel MESO concept (or related French research lab Spintec FESO concept) seems more amenable to both digital logic and much more energy efficient ways to do AI.

Therefore China should be investing to develop advanced manufacturing tools to manufacture such technologies as it would allow them to both to sidesteps the US restrictions and leapfrog them (as they did with solar panels, batteries, EVs,…)
I'm not saying it's a great idea to deploy less efficient tech, but that seems to be the option China is left with for now. I am saying they have an advantage in the rapid deployment of nuclear energy. spintronics is 10+ and probably more like 20+ years from being commercially viable. A lot can change in that much time.

Regarding the other areas you mentioned, solar, batteries, China had a leg up because they were able to exert considerable control on the raw materials that went into those components. That is not the case here.

Diogene7

Prominent
Jan 7, 2023
I'm not saying it's a great idea to deploy less efficient tech, but that seems to be the option China is left with for now. I am saying they have an advantage in the rapid deployment of nuclear energy. spintronics is 10+ and probably more like 20+ years from being commercially viable. A lot can change in that much time.

Regarding the other areas you mentioned, solar, batteries, China had a leg up because they were able to exert considerable control on the raw materials that went into those components. That is not the case here.

I think that with proper funding allocation (like they did with battery, EV, solar,…) spintronics related technologies could likely become a much more emergent technology in 10 years, and if so, China would be a leader in manufacturing tools / ecosystem in this technology because they would have been the 1st to develop the necessary new manufacturing tools for this technology…

The 1st step would be to scale-up Non-Volatile-Memory (NVM) MRAM manufacturing on 300mm wafers, with at least 32Gbits (4GB) die, that are LPDDR6 / CXL 2.0 compatible and reasonably low-power enough that it opens plenty new market opportunities.

https://www.imec-int.com/en/press/i...how-record-low-switching-energy-and-virtually

On the contrary, I am doubtful that it is wise to pursue EUV with a technology that would be much more expensive than ASML EUV, and therefore not market / price competitive…