News Chinese Company Alibaba Bans Sales of Cryptocurrency Miners

artk2219

Distinguished
You mean an authoritarian government with strict market controls doesn't want others to have a way to buy things or move assets that they cant have direct control over? I cant tell you how shocked I am that its production and associated sales of production equipment has been made illegal, what a stunning turn of events.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
You mean an authoritarian government with strict market controls doesn't want others to have a way to buy things that they cant have direct control over? I cant tell you how shocked I am that its production and associated sales of production equipment has been made illegal, what a stunning turn of events.
China is having rolling blackouts due to insufficient power production that has been credited with a loss of 10-12% of economic growth. Since crypto is used to illegally exfiltrate wealthy out of China, banning all crypto kills two birds with one stone: it frees up several GWs worth of electric power to alleviate blackouts and stops people from trafficking their wealth out of China without paying taxes.

The IRS and many other tax agencies around the world have their eyes on crypto too for being a tax evasion and criminal organization financing vehicle. China is only the first with a blanket ban, I expect many more to follow sooner or later.

I believe China's gov't is more interested in the money invested in the current real estate problems (see Evergrande) not leaving the country through coin-exchanges. They want the money to stay invested in the country, even if it's not in the real estate companies. (Edit: also, the power problems, as stated above)

But whatever the reasons are, I'm good with the ban. I hope more countries stop allowing conversion to local currency (like the US), and then all of the power and semiconductor resources can go into more productive uses than cryptocoin speculation & ransomware payment-enabling. If I never read another story of how a coal-burning power plant is being "repurposed" to supply power for mining, then that's a great win environmentally. Getting the GPUs being bought up by miners back into the hands of the long-time users of them - gamers - would be nice. But even more important, all of the industries who can't get enough processors - more semiconductor resources should be available to them. A worldwide ban would be fine with me - only ones who lose are the ones who were speculating (gambling) in uncertain futures.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I believe China's gov't is more interested in the money invested in the current real estate problems (see Evergrande) not leaving the country through coin-exchanges. They want the money to stay invested in the country, even if it's not in the real estate companies. (Edit: also, the power problems, as stated above)

But whatever the reasons are, I'm good with the ban. I hope more countries stop allowing conversion to local currency (like the US), and then all of the power and semiconductor resources can go into more productive uses than cryptocoin speculation & ransomware payment-enabling. If I never read another story of how a coal-burning power plant is being "repurposed" to supply power for mining, then that's a great win environmentally. Getting the GPUs being bought up by miners back into the hands of the long-time users of them - gamers - would be nice. But even more important, all of the industries who can't get enough processors - more semiconductor resources should be available to them. A worldwide ban would be fine with me - only ones who lose are the ones who were speculating (gambling) in uncertain futures.

Which Legacy institution are you a shill for?

Reactions: artk2219

InvalidError

Titan
People that think this is great news have no idea what they are talking about.
Those people should go live in China and experience government control.
China has their own government backed digital currency and are just eliminating any competition.
Poor people from China can't afford to crypto-mine in any significant capacity or traveling out of the country to make use of it elsewhere. It is mostly Chinese millionaires and billionaires using mining to traffic their wealth out of the country.

As far as "digital currencies" go, practically all currencies are digital today when you make online payments, use debit or credit cards. You don't need ludicrously power-inefficient crypto for that.

Reactions: Krotow and artk2219

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
The overlords don't want any crypto competition from the peasants.

Since I'm not a miner and could care less about their woes, I hope that other governments do the same. Then maybe I can finally finish upgrading my PC...which means trade in my RX 570 for something with more juice.

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
The IRS and many other tax agencies around the world have their eyes on crypto too for being a tax evasion and criminal organization financing vehicle. China is only the first with a blanket ban, I expect many more to follow sooner or later.

Governments will ban crypto currencies only when it's not profitable for them to mine it themselves. At the moment crypto is free cash for any government who uses tax money to build mining farms.