Chinese DDoS Attack Takes Down UK Domain Registrar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
"China" is a very broad term. They might as well have not mentioned it at all to prevent any sort of political issues. I am interested to see how this story develops!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]"China" is a very broad term. They might as well have not mentioned it at all to prevent any sort of political issues. I am interested to see how this story develops![/citation]
If it is from China then it is from China, regardless if proxies were used or not. Indeed it is very broad term but when all that is mentioned is that the source was China - I fail to see any accusation made here unless people read into it too much.

G

if it originates from china, then just ban ALL from china. they already banning rest of the world.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]If it is from China then it is from China, regardless if proxies were used or not. Indeed it is very broad term but when all that is mentioned is that the source was China - I fail to see any accusation made here unless people read into it too much.[/citation]
The thing is that the statement was there at first, and was later removed. There was probably good reason for that, or they wouldn't have done so. I'd like to know what that reason was. That's showing interest, not some sort of paranoia. :)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]The thing is that the statement was there at first, and was later removed. There was probably good reason for that, or they wouldn't have done so. I'd like to know what that reason was. That's showing interest, not some sort of paranoia.[/citation]
I'd say it was removed, because there was no longer a reason to have it up, not because it was stepping on someone's toes.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
They should have targeted 1and1.com instead.
They are one of the worst registrars out there stealing domains and blackmailing users by taking domains hostage.

[citation][nom]Auroram[/nom]"China" is a very broad term. They might as well have not mentioned it at all to prevent any sort of political issues. I am interested to see how this story develops![/citation]

This comment just seems to be in denial. China refers the mainland and a few periphery islands known as the PRC. We all know this.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@eddieroolz: I think Auroram was trying to say that it could be interpreted a few different ways:
1) Chinese gov't sponsored DDoS
2) DDoS originating from computers located in China geographically, and conducted by private Chinese individuals and/or businesses
3) DDoS originating from computers located in China, but only because they are infected with botnet software (being pirated copies of Windows, this is a distinct possibility), and orchestrated by individuals and/or entities located elsewhere.

Those are three very different interpretations of "China", with radically different political and social implications.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]@eddieroolz: I think Auroram was trying to say that it could be interpreted a few different ways:1) Chinese gov't sponsored DDoS2) DDoS originating from computers located in China geographically, and conducted by private Chinese individuals and/or businesses3) DDoS originating from computers located in China, but only because they are infected with botnet software (being pirated copies of Windows, this is a distinct possibility), and orchestrated by individuals and/or entities located elsewhere.Those are three very different interpretations of "China", with radically different political and social implications.[/citation]
Nothing happens in commi chiney unless it's sanctioned by the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS