News Chinese Fenghua GPU Aims for GeForce RTX 3060 Compute Performance

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
If the performance is real, then this is indeed good news.
We need even the 4th player in GPU market, the more the merrier I'd say.

Those that don't like the fact that is a Chinese owned and Chinese made GPU, can simply not buy it, but 4 GPU manufacturers competing on prices... that would be amazing! All consumers will benefit, no matter which company one is a fan of, because of that competition.

If the performance is real, then this is indeed good news.
We need even the 4th player in GPU market, the more the merrier I'd say.

Those that don't like the fact that is a Chinese owned and Chinese made GPU, can simply not buy it, but 4 GPU manufacturers competing on prices... that would be amazing! All consumers will benefit, no matter which company one is a fan of, because of that competition.

sadly they will not going to live long. and consume only want competition so they can get cheap price. they did not care if the competing company will survive in the future or not.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
sadly they will not going to live long. and consume only want competition so they can get cheap price. they did not care if the competing company will survive in the future or not.
What makes you think they will fail?

They have their own Chinese internal market if external one is not good for them anyway... and that market alone is huge.

Nah, they won't fail. They just need to prove and deliver that performance. I'm pretty sure their prices will not be high as we see with phones and cars, they all are lower than the other (western) brands.

gargoylenest

Commendable
Jan 13, 2020
actually, I wouldnt expect such a big gap in pricing. You can compare to Xiaomi or Huawei flagship equipment's (phones, tv, laptop, etc.) high end tech still have a minimal price. But they should help a lot by bringing more availability and competition

Just a few things to consider.

1. This is still on 12nm (e.g. Turing-era tech of 2018)
  2. Supposedly the GPU only needs 50W
  3. The compute is supposed to be nearly as high as a 3060 (for the dual-GPU 100W variant)
  4. Dual-GPU means crappy scaling in gaming performance
  5. Actually extracting 10 TFLOPS of usable FP32 performance might be far more difficult than on an AMD or Nvidia GPU

Because of the above, I'm betting actual performance of the 5 TFLOPS card will probably look a lot more like a GTX 1660 — at best. Probably more in the line of a GTX 1650, but perhaps with better performance in compute-only workloads.

Reactions: renz496
What makes you think they will fail?

They have their own Chinese internal market if external one is not good for them anyway... and that market alone is huge.

Nah, they won't fail. They just need to prove and deliver that performance. I'm pretty sure their prices will not be high as we see with phones and cars, they all are lower than the other (western) brands.
We have several big names competing in discrete gpu market before. Now there is only two left. And even between the two one of them just exist for the sake of being there even if they have competitive parts. Intel has been trying for several times. Good for intel they are the type that can burn billions, failed and yet still lives to see the day. Others like Qualcomm, Imagination and ARM can't do that. I heard Imagination try to make some sort of coming back when they licence their gpu to Innosilicon. They can built good gpu no doubt but from the way i see how they do things for years they hate to do the software aspect of it. That's why in the past only Apple end up being their real client since Apple develop their own drivers. Other SoC maker end up ditching Imagination and go with ARM instead because of this. This innosilicon gpu? The driver aspect most likely being handle completely by Innosilicon instead of Imagination. So they need to create real devrel with game developer if they want to market their gpu globally. And to do this they need money. To get money they need people to buy their gpu. Now we come to the most cruel aspect: the consumer itself. For most people they want the best for themselves. They will not going to keep buying bad product of a certain company so they can improve in the future. Want my money? Then earn it. That's why even in duopoly situation we have extremely unbalance market for years. 70/30 for almost a decade and now it was 80/20.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
We have several big names competing in discrete gpu market before. Now there is only two left. And even between the two one of them just exist for the sake of being there even if they have competitive parts. Intel has been trying for several times. Good for intel they are the type that can burn billions, failed and yet still lives to see the day. Others like Qualcomm, Imagination and ARM can't do that. I heard Imagination try to make some sort of coming back when they licence their gpu to Innosilicon. They can built good gpu no doubt but from the way i see how they do things for years they hate to do the software aspect of it. That's why in the past only Apple end up being their real client since Apple develop their own drivers. Other SoC maker end up ditching Imagination and go with ARM instead because of this. This innosilicon gpu? The driver aspect most likely being handle completely by Innosilicon instead of Imagination. So they need to create real devrel with game developer if they want to market their gpu globally. And to do this they need money. To get money they need people to buy their gpu. Now we come to the most cruel aspect: the consumer itself. For most people they want the best for themselves. They will not going to keep buying bad product of a certain company so they can improve in the future. Want my money? Then earn it. That's why even in duopoly situation we have extremely unbalance market for years. 70/30 for almost a decade and now it was 80/20.
All you said is valid, but... times are different now.

They can simply sell in the internal Chinese market which is huge and also just to miners (which don't need gaming drivers) and be very successful until they get bigger and better to go international, if they want that.

That's one way of not failing in the current GPU world, not like 10-20 years ago when it was a very different world...

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
All you said is valid, but... times are different now.

They can simply sell in the internal Chinese market which is huge and also just to miners (which don't need gaming drivers) and be very successful until they get bigger and better to go international, if they want that.

That's one way of not failing in the current GPU world, not like 10-20 years ago when it was a very different world...
Agreed. The CCP has laws that will eventually require all computers bought by the citizens to be made in Communist China. That gives them a Vast market right there. That should give them them the financial ability to invest heavily into R&D to make a more competitive product.

Reactions: VforV
Agreed. The CCP has laws that will eventually require all computers bought by the citizens to be made in Communist China. That gives them a Vast market right there. That should give them them the financial ability to invest heavily into R&D to make a more competitive product.

wishful thinking at best. if that's the case then we will see things like iPhone being barred from chinese market years ago since there is already tons of smartphone maker from China. this china GPU even if they were competitive it might not going to serve outside china market that much. in the end the situation with GPU market will still not going to change much.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
that is a very good news. This is the kind of things that could bring down some MSRP levels to current card level considering that they are independent (I think...) from usual silicon foundries limitations.
There is no way this will have any effect on any market outside of China. AMD and Nvidia have completely given up and multi gpu gaming. The fact there is a dual GPU version of this indicates China isn't wasting their resources creating gaming GPU's. These are their early attempts at a compute card. A dual GPU compute card that barely competes with a lower midrange gaming card is nothing to write home about. No matter how fast China progresses, it's not going to lower the cost of a RTX 5080.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU