News Chinese-made GPU beats performance of 10-year-old integrated AMD graphics — Lingjiu GP201 hits mass production

Also, the title of the article is quite "misleading".

They aren't saying this chip tries to compete with AMD and Nvidia's past solutions. They are only claiming the performance is better than the embedded AMD chip.

It's 'mostly' about the embedded performance. That's why they initially compared this with AMD's E8860 offering. Please don't count integrated GPUs here, let alone any discrete.

Last edited:

Geef

Distinguished
We don't need to worry about the slow speed their chip is at.

They have access to WAY more information about how to make chips better than the chip makers of 10 years ago had.
Another few years and they will start doing serious increases BUT their chips will most likely always be slower since China isn't big on doing it's own research. (please don't remove this. Its just a factual statement.)

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I don't think it's actually an iGPU. It looks like an embedded discrete GPU used in some MXM modules and specialty products (slot machines?). I'll let someone else figure it out.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-e8860.c2550
You're correct that it's a discrete GPU and not an iGPU, and is used in embedded systems. They do come in MXM modules, but there's also AMD-designed/manufactured PCIe versions of some of them, as well as some that appear to be non-AMD PCIe boards.

They do share dies with standard desktop/laptop GPUs, but with very different board design and clock speed. Looks like this one has the same architecture and shader count as the HD 7770, but with clocks cut by more than 40% from the desktop card and the RAM doubled to 2GB.

May 7, 2024
I still remember that 10 years ago, almost all of the Chinese products were 10–20 years behind the west's. Now they're leading

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
The article headline makes it sounds much worse than it actually is. It matches the hardware specs of the GTX 1030 which can do 4k resolution for office apps (Nvidia claims it can even support 8k but I wouldn't). These articles think of China as trying to invade the gaming market. That's true, but that's not their main concern. Right now they want to release leading desktop and cloud apps and stay on the cutting edge. That requires GPUs that can handle standard resolutions, including 4k.

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021

Chinese-made GPU beats performance of 10-year-old integrated AMD graphics​

I guess that AMD is the equivalent to Android in Hollywood , which its the only device used by the villains since Apple doesnt allow iPhones to be presented in any negative way so no villains can wield them.

Then again, its normal in this neck of the woods to always trash them or place them in a negative light.

Gwyneth Llewelyn

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I think that the whole point of the article is just to show that the Chinese government's goal of having all desktops on public institutions running only Chinese hardware by 2027 is not far-fetched — a tough task to accomplish in some areas, sure, but they're slowly catching up.
One might ask why bother going with 10-year-old "developed and designed in China" hardware — surely Chinese bureaucrats deserve much better than that on their desktops? Well, I would guess that the main problem is in specifically US-produced chips. It's not unlikely that, besides what they list on the specifications, they also include the odd backdoor here and there — something we know that was done in the past on both Intel and AMD CPUs — so, who knows if such capabilities aren't being used to spy on the Chinese government?
They would have reasons to be paranoid about that — since that's exactly what they do when the roles are reversed (see the standing 'war' with Huawei, for instance). Embedding a wi-fi chip in your otherwise-utterly-harmless USB phon charger? No problem. Almost nobody will notice — unless they open the charger and have the necessary know-how to immediately notice the 'extra' chip there, and even if someone does that, what could be done about it? Inform the whole population that the device X or Y is currently being used by the Chinese Intelligence Agencies to (potentially) spy on them, and kindly return them to the manufacturer? That's extremely unlikely to happen.
But the point is that it can be done and has been done. Therefore, it's no surprise (to me) that China is afraid that anyone would just go ahead and do it via some 'foreign' manufacturer over which the Chinese government is not able to exercise some control...

Reactions: Johndoe85

Johndoe85

Reputable
Jan 6, 2021
I think that the whole point of the article is just to show that the Chinese government's goal of having all desktops on public institutions running only Chinese hardware by 2027 is not far-fetched — a tough task to accomplish in some areas, sure, but they're slowly catching up.
One might ask why bother going with 10-year-old "developed and designed in China" hardware — surely Chinese bureaucrats deserve much better than that on their desktops? Well, I would guess that the main problem is in specifically US-produced chips. It's not unlikely that, besides what they list on the specifications, they also include the odd backdoor here and there — something we know that was done in the past on both Intel and AMD CPUs — so, who knows if such capabilities aren't being used to spy on the Chinese government?
They would have reasons to be paranoid about that — since that's exactly what they do when the roles are reversed (see the standing 'war' with Huawei, for instance). Embedding a wi-fi chip in your otherwise-utterly-harmless USB phon charger? No problem. Almost nobody will notice — unless they open the charger and have the necessary know-how to immediately notice the 'extra' chip there, and even if someone does that, what could be done about it? Inform the whole population that the device X or Y is currently being used by the Chinese Intelligence Agencies to (potentially) spy on them, and kindly return them to the manufacturer? That's extremely unlikely to happen.
But the point is that it can be done and has been done. Therefore, it's no surprise (to me) that China is afraid that anyone would just go ahead and do it via some 'foreign' manufacturer over which the Chinese government is not able to exercise some control...
I agree and in addition to that i can add that there is a economical "wheel" gain here. Pushing around the money within their own system is far better than send it overseas (to US for example). So over time they also gain economical revenue and all they have to do is bid their time.

Reactions: Gwyneth Llewelyn

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
It was a bad idea at the time and it is only now showing just how bad it was. What was it? AMD selling x86 technology to China in order to stay in business.