Chinese Media: Google is 'Totally Politicized'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doniel102

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]victomofreality[/nom]roflcopter China bitching about something showing a politicized face to the world? They can't even tell the world the truth when they have a natural disaster! China needs to learn to not take on things like Google in a pr war google will win![/citation]

But if you take a step back, are you obligated to tell everyone the minute you found out your basement was all chewed up by termites?

mkyam

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Jane McEntegart does not have anything else to report besides Google and China? It's getting a hell of a lot boring. Stick to hardware, Tom!

doniel102

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Yep, I mean why shouldn't we speak when we know a country for the past 60 years or so has been what the Soviet Union was under Stalin. Seriously, are you from the Chinese Government?[/citation]

I'm chinese but I'm in no way connected to the Chinese government. Just wanted to express a different perspective of looking at things. I'm not going to continue arguing 'coz this is already turning into a pissing contest.

mark80

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]yekoor[/nom]I wonder what would happen if a chinese company tried to teach Americans a moral lesson.I'm not Chinese, but you Americans are clearly arrogant and egocentric. I guess no one is familiar with the term "culture relativity" ... and i'm not surprised considering some Americans don't even know where China is located. Wake up, Chinese culture is not worse or better it is just different, you must learn to accept it, the same way you had to learn to accept Afro-Americans having the same rights despite of their skin color. And stop looking for "evil" outside of your country.[/citation]

This idea that everything is equal and not better or worse is garbage. No one would say that the ideals of Nazi Germany were equally as good as any other. That is not to say that the US governement or American culture is perfect, but it is a whole lot better than how other govermenments treat their citizens, including China. Companies should have a moral compass, just as individuals do, and Google is perfectly within their rights to say they hoped to improve access to information in China, but they no longer see any hope for that and so if they cannot be part of the solution at least they will no longer be part of the problem.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]You people are so ridiculous. Don't presume to know what the Chinese people think. Some of them don't like their government. Some of them do. It's their business. I know people who say the same things about religion (blind faith and all that). When you're raised on something and that's all you know, you don't often think outside the box. Stop with all the idiotic presumptions about what's best for the Chinese/the entire world because you don't know.[/citation]

Say that to the millions working in insalubrious factories in inhuman conditions for ridiculous salaries. That's what China is about. But it's important to know that the government is only there to keep things as they are, it's not really what is fueling those type of socio-commercial activities. International businesses and people who are buying their brands are the ones fueling it. Thing is, even by boycotting those products, does it really help the people from China? Not really. It's back to the government, who is the prime bastion to destroy if the tyranny is to be stopped.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
When you have over a billion people to govern, you will start to think in a different light, and who are you to judge what's right or wrong for a country when you don't live there? That author thought I'm pretty sure he's a government mole defending China's actions. All I'm saying is, don't be arrogant and think you know what's better for other people.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
That's what's wrong with this country, don't know when to mind our own business. If there is a genocide occurring then please send help, but let them govern themselves in these matters.

[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]All I'm saying is, don't be arrogant and think you know what's better for other people.[/citation]
Please provide an explanation on how censorship is in any way, shape, or form, better than the truth for the Chinese people, or for any people, for that matter.

1pp1k10k4m1

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
[citation][nom]doniel102[/nom]It's amazing how most of people started bashing China as soon as they finished reading this article. Personally, I would shut the hell up about a country's rights and wrongs if all of my knowledge about that country is merely from the media and the books i read. All im saying is: stop trying to decide for other people what's good for them!!![/citation]

Umm...isn't that exactly what the Chinese gov't is doing? Deciding what is best for 1.6 billion people without the people's input? Didn't Chinese scientists appeal to google not to leave? Did the gov't care? Nope...so you really don't need the "media" to make some pretty common sense conclusions. You found the common sense conclusions, but didn't apply them in both places, or in math terms, you didn't balance the equation. You can't tell us not to try and decide what's best for people if you're going to say that its okay for other people to; regardless of whether its their gov't or not. It's not really like they elect them anyway, in actual, real elections. So they can't really claim to be speaking for the people either.

[citation][nom]doniel102[/nom]But if you take a step back, are you obligated to tell everyone the minute you found out your basement was all chewed up by termites?[/citation]

No one said you have to tell everyone, but you don't have to lie about and deny it either...so you're not comparing apples to apples here.

[citation][nom]yekoor[/nom]I wonder what would happen if a chinese company tried to teach Americans a moral lesson.I'm not Chinese, but you Americans are clearly arrogant and egocentric. I guess no one is familiar with the term "culture relativity" ... and i'm not surprised considering some Americans don't even know where China is located. Wake up, Chinese culture is not worse or better it is just different, you must learn to accept it, the same way you had to learn to accept Afro-Americans having the same rights despite of their skin color. And stop looking for "evil" outside of your country.[/citation]

Murdering untold numbers of people who simply want human rights is only...different and culturally relative??? Supporting China, a country who has the worst human rights record since Hitler, is...insane. Your inane ramblings only seek to show your utter ignorance. You wanna talk about arrogance...? Let's talk, you just stereotyped and generalized an entire country as being arrogant and egocentric. That's pretty arrogant there buddy, you must feel you know more than the combined knowledge of everyone in the entire country...that's 307 million people btw.

The way we had to learn to accept Afro-American had the same rights based on skin color?? Haha...here's a revelation for you, oh Keeper of Brilliance, we're the one's who passed the laws that gave those rights in this country. And since you've already classified human rights as being culturally relative, then you can't really say that they had rights before that. You also, unless you're american, according to you, cannot comment on what we do in America, because it's our culture, and we hand out the human rights here; using your logic.

You seem to find a lot of evil in America...are you a citizen here? If not, then stop looking for evil outside of your own country.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Working those factory jobs are what's keeping those people away from poverty. The Chinese government shouldnt be the only one to blame. Who sends those jobs over there? The rich American business owners.

[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]That's what's wrong with this country, don't know when to mind our own business. If there is a genocide occurring then please send help, but let them govern themselves in these matters.[/citation]
Now you're implying the US is, in fact, behind this. This is Google's deal. The rest of us are just sitting at our computers and talking about it...which we're all perfectly entitled to do, whatever our opinions are.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]That's what's wrong with this country, don't know when to mind our own business. If there is a genocide occurring then please send help, but let them govern themselves in these matters.[/citation]

In a globalized world, we can't think like this anymore. America not minding is own business is exactly what brought this globalization. But now it's kind of too late to think as you are and turning a blind eye on reality. Cause what's happening in China may very well happen in USA in a near future.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009
Look at what rap and hip hop media has done to the youth here. You can go to an all white town and they all dress like they're straight off from a rap video.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
What goes around, comes around - maybe the CCP doesn't quite understand this. Everything they do is a political move, they use all the foreign investment for their own Communist propaganda (what would China be without the West's need for cheap labour, and yet the CCP sells this to their people as if we went there because we had to), so of course Google is smart and will beat them at their own game, and that really really pisses off the great fat bully on the schoolyard. I love China, but screw the CCP, show them that China didn't start with them, and China will not end without them!

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]phatbuddha79[/nom]Look at what rap and hip hop media has done to the youth here. You can go to an all white town and they all dress like they're straight off from a rap video.[/citation]

That's what we call mass mind control by the mean of mainstream medias. This mind control is not only happening in Rap, it's happening everywhere in the medias. Is all this really made on purpose to homogenize and de-humanize people as if they were products? Maybe. That's what people in China officially are, disposable machines(products) producing other products for the good of the 'nation'. We all are in facts, it's just that it's less obvious in 'free' countries'. Countries like China have just gone into an extreme which any sane people can't tolerate.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]The Chinese government is living in a self-created fantasy. The only way they feel they can continue to live in that fantasy it to make truth illegal and the fantasy legal.Why do we even still do business with them?? Oh, right! They have a fantasy "President" who is really a dictator.[/citation]

Well that and they do control a large portion of the U.S.'s national debt? If we stopped relations with China we would find ourselves in a very deep whole, not to mention the concept of Mutually Assured Destruction, it's what makes the world go 'round ;)

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
As much as I hate China's politics, I can't argue with the content of the article. Google shouldn't try to change China's laws, however silly and restrictive they are. Business and politics shouldn't go together. Chinese citizens definitely have their heads in the sand, but it's up to them to wake up and protest.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]As much as I hate China's politics, I can't argue with the content of the article. Google shouldn't try to change China's laws, however silly and restrictive they are. Business and politics shouldn't go together. Chinese citizens definitely have their heads in the sand, but it's up to them to wake up and protest.[/citation]

You're forgetting the whole reason that Google decided to even start this process. China violated Google's rights even by their laws when they hacked into their systems to steal private information on Google's users. This is Google's retaliation method, change the laws to say "sorry" or they're done dealing with the country all together.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
google has its rights as a business to deny service to anyone they choose if not based on discriminate values. if china doesnt like it, they can argue at the UN headquarters.

I support you 100% google! keep fightin those stupid commies

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It does seem pretty biased. Just look up something like Islam or anything Mormon related and you'll see what I mean right away. I haven't looked up Communism or Dictatorship yet. I can only imagine the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.