Chinese Media: Google is 'Totally Politicized'

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckinbottoms

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
While the author concedes that leaving the Chinese market is Google's decision, he says the company is being arrogant in its attempts to have China uncensor search results.
Another brainwashed Chinese minion.
"It is ridiculous and arrogant for an American company to attempt to change China's laws. The country doesn't need a politicized Google or Google's politics," the article concludes.
Censorship of key events in China's history is law? What a sad state then...

K_M82

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Right. i don't think google would leave a country that have more internet user than the US have CITIZEN (estimated). and a country that have more mobile phone user than the US and Canada CITIZEN combined. if they left this to baidu, bing, or other, they might chip away significant number of google market.

G

Google can do what it wants, just like China makes up law that they want. If the two dont agree, then China can change there law, or say goodbye to google. Its their choice, China is just scared to make it. They are a bunch of pussies.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I'm at a loss for words for china.. To think someone(let alone 1+ billon!) would so willing stand idly by as what SHOULD be their freedoms is being with held.. Tsk Tsk.. It would be different if they didn't know better.. But to KNOW that we have such rights, and they don't? I find it hard to fathom why they tolerate it so.. :,(

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]K_M82[/nom]Right. i don't think google would leave a country that have more internet user than the US have CITIZEN (estimated). and a country that have more mobile phone user than the US and Canada CITIZEN combined. if they left this to baidu, bing, or other, they might chip away significant number of google market.[/citation]

Why did you 'all caps' something you typed incorrectly? Your comment gives me a headache.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
You people are so ridiculous. Don't presume to know what the Chinese people think. Some of them don't like their government. Some of them do. It's their business.

I know people who say the same things about religion (blind faith and all that). When you're raised on something and that's all you know, you don't often think outside the box. Stop with all the idiotic presumptions about what's best for the Chinese/the entire world because you don't know.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
The Chinese government is living in a self-created fantasy. The only way they feel they can continue to live in that fantasy it to make truth illegal and the fantasy legal.

Why do we even still do business with them?? Oh, right! They have a fantasy "President" who is really a dictator.

topas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
It's propaganda. I am from a former communist country and know this style of writing all too well. Thanks god those times are already over for us.

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Normally I would say a company should respect the laws of the country they operate in, but when the law is "hide the truth," I don't think it should be respected. A government that wants their citizenry to remain uneducated is morally bankrupt. I'm glad at least one company has decided to "politicize" the issue and take a stand, whether censorship was their real motivation or not.

viewwin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
I thought it was because hackers stole Google's source code and personal account information, which they and several other companies traced to China. I don't blame Google for pulling out at all.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Wait a minute - before we go down the China is evil route - let's look at what this article is saying.
Q. Did Google know about Chinese law when they entered the market (whether they like it or not is another matter)? Of course they did.
Q. Did Google get a lot of flak for complying? Yes they did and many people think rightly so.
Q. Did Google think - well maybe this isn't worth it - we need to get out? Fine.
The question is are you in or out. Stop politicizing the whole damn thing. Their procrastination is ensuring this thing stays in the media for political reasons not business. Were they misled? No they weren't. Do you want to do a deal with 'the devil' or not - 'the devil' cares not as long as you don't have your own agenda.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]Yep, I'm sure the Chinese people really do value their government hiding the truth from them.[/citation]
Hate to say it... but the US Government isn't exactly wearing white either. The only thing going for the US Government is that it admits that it's got history it's not proud, China on the other hand would rather take the blue pill ;)

yekoor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I wonder what would happen if a chinese company tried to teach Americans a moral lesson.

I'm not Chinese, but you Americans are clearly arrogant and egocentric. I guess no one is familiar with the term "culture relativity" ... and i'm not surprised considering some Americans don't even know where China is located. Wake up, Chinese culture is not worse or better it is just different, you must learn to accept it, the same way you had to learn to accept Afro-Americans having the same rights despite of their skin color.

And stop looking for "evil" outside of your country.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
... and poor people still starve in America... Not like China can't use bing to find that out, but it really doesn't matter because they won't do anything about it anyway, they have our $$$, why would they give back out $ to us to feed our poor. Stop caring about what companies like Google & Countries like China are doing and donate some frakkin peanut butter!

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
It's propaganda and spin off,

made to make Google look bad, and that's exactly what communists do.

Google is not interested in politics its interested in human rights. There's a world of difference there. I approve of Google leaving a country that forces you to break human rights. It's the right thing to do.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Google isn't the one politicizing it. The reporters and goverment are. Google tried to do what china wanted, but their not miracle workers. So their packing up and leaving. It's reporters that are making this about politics. And they can't just say ok we're out in a day. Their trying to do right by their workers over there. Hell even businesses in the USA just don't pack up and move to another location it takes time.

Politics != culture. Ya, they can go hand in hand, but they are far from the same thing. It's funny how you people are trying to stick up for china. How can you. When there is no way of knowing what the Chinese people actually want. O and if you say you're chinese. Well I'm sure you don't speak for them all, and as the saying goes men are men, women are men, and kids are fbi on the internet.

I'm not saying our goverment is the best, as it's far from it. It's corrupt, and not about the American people no more. But we are still far better off then the chinese goverment when it comes to freedom of speech and things of that nature.

doniel102

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
It's amazing how most of people started bashing China as soon as they finished reading this article. Personally, I would shut the hell up about a country's rights and wrongs if all of my knowledge about that country is merely from the media and the books i read. All im saying is: stop trying to decide for other people what's good for them!!!

[citation][nom]yekoor[/nom]I wonder what would happen if a chinese company tried to teach Americans a moral lesson.I'm not Chinese, but you Americans are clearly arrogant and egocentric. I guess no one is familiar with the term "culture relativity" ... and i'm not surprised considering some Americans don't even know where China is located. Wake up, Chinese culture is not worse or better it is just different, you must learn to accept it, the same way you had to learn to accept Afro-Americans having the same rights despite of their skin color. And stop looking for "evil" outside of your country.[/citation]

Hm...this comment isn't full of hypocrisy at all.
Last time I checked, knowing the truth about anything wasn't "culturally relative". The truth is the truth, and else is a lie. Perhaps you prefer lies, but I certainly don't. Google should probably just leave instead of making a fuss, sure, but that doesn't make the Chinese government's methods of censorship any less wrong. Since when does censorship even fall in the same league as culture?
Why can't we look for "evil" outside of our country? Everyone seems to have a habit of finding it in us.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
roflcopter China bitching about something showing a politicized face to the world? They can't even tell the world the truth when they have a natural disaster! China needs to learn to not take on things like Google in a pr war google will win!

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Google is doing the right thing, it's not moral to do what China wants, obey it's "laws" which trample over human rights.

Google is doing what it can to "do no evil" like their motto states.

Status
Not open for further replies.