Chinese Minister Says Green Dam is Optional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It's optional until they figure out how to actually make it work. The good, compliant communist party loyalist will just be the beta testers.

G

Come on who cares! I'm getting sick of all these articles lately about useless news in China.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
The 'Green Dam' is a farce, a distraction! All data on the net is monitored and filtered by the central government, with or without the green dam... Just open up google.com and in another window open google.cn and type in "tiananmen square" and compare the two... This is just a basic example. My chinese friend showed me a Chinese computer site and he wrote a comment on there which included the phrase "central government tiananmen" and when he hit the save button he got a pop-up stating that his comment could not be posted due to "inappropriate" language. It's unreal!

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]The 'Green Dam' is a farce, a distraction! All data on the net is monitored and filtered by the central government, with or without the green dam... Just open up google.com and in another window open google.cn and type in "tiananmen square" and compare the two... This is just a basic example. My chinese friend showed me a Chinese computer site and he wrote a comment on there which included the phrase "central government tiananmen" and when he hit the save button he got a pop-up stating that his comment could not be posted due to "inappropriate" language. It's unreal![/citation]

Just did that...crazy...

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
As a guy that lived in USSR I can tell you by "people's choice" they actually mean that it is up to you, but if you don't, there's going to be big consequences.... (like Apple iPhones blowing up in your faces so you throw yourself of a 10 story building because you searched with Bing and tryed to educate himself with a dictionnary...)

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation]the government had always intended for the software to be optional and up to the individual who is responsible for the computer.[/citation]

wow, now thats a first

Status
Not open for further replies.