Chinese Researchers Transmit 150 Mb/s Over Li-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
They use FPGA chip in wifi protocol transfer with that speed. I don't know that TI DSP can handle with that speed or not?

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
I quite like the sound of this. LiFis greatest weakness sounds to me like it's greatest strength: the whole line-of-sight thing. WiFi as it is now is horrendously overcrowded, there are 53 different access point within range of my home, all sharing the same 11 channels, if one or more of my neighbors decides to watch netflix, guess what? - no more internet for you (basically I get kicked off and/or have virtually non existant transfer speeds). This is only on 2.4ghz mind you, 5ghz is virtually empty - but for how long? With line of sight, LiFi will have some hurdles to overcome, but, within ones own home, overcrowding shouldn't ever be a problem.

Anything that can be done on an FPGA can be done more efficiently as an ASIC. FPGAs are simply used to prototype logic (subject to the FPGA's own limitations) as it can be reconfigured simply by recompiling the design. This is useful for working out bugs before sending the design off for fabrication.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The problem with LiFi is exactly that. The use of light. Since it has line of sight restrictions, it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to use in most locations.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
The material response time/scattering are the key challenges when it comes to laser transmission. I am far more impressed with NASA whopping 622 MB/s than the earthling 1 Gb/s...

RichoOssavitor

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
So. Now we now need to utilize this with a fusion reactor as the EMI from a nuclear fusion reaction would mess with conventional hard wired or radio based data transfer. Then place this fusion reactor on the Tibetan plateau and power the Eurasian continent for the next 50 years.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The best application of this is you can use the LED's use in LiFi as room lighting same time.

The fast blinking of the data carrier frequency is well beyond human perception.

phalanxes

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
So what happen when someone is standing between your device and the router? Your Netflix suddenly turn to photobucket?
Well, we will need a lot of mirror in our house...

Not as many hurdles as you might think. There was a neat TED Talk (last year I think?) about using LED house lights as a transmitter of data throughout a home. The variation in light is so fast and subtle that you would never pick it up with your eyes, and it can operate at such low light that it can still work while in practical darkness.

The thought would be to get your router, plug an Ethernet port into some sort of power-line modulator, and then use special light-bulbs that have the capability to both send and receive signal. Or perhaps make a hybrid system where wifi is used for upstream communication and lifi is use for downstream communication which would make the light bulbs substantially cheaper, and get around the bulk of the traffic which congests apartment complexes.

Anywho, I still think wired networking is the way to go whenever possible. Wireless communication should be reserved for low bandwidth portable devices.

This tech will be useless for most applications aside from theoretical, same as using infrared for printing and data communications. It will be put into devices, no-one will use it. Only good thing is having your laptop and TV in communication if they can work out a way to send HDMI data using this. Line of sight limits this too much, at least the bandwidth is usable unlike what the infrared stuff was.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
This uses LED room lighting so it would be using MIMO of course so there would be multiple data paths. You don't always have to point your remote directly at your device to make it work. For sure this is meant not replace WIFi or Bluetooth or anything else, unless they can figure out how to modulate sun/moonlight or streetlights.
Imagine the potential of any 'digital' light source carrying data - Car Lights, Store Signage, Traffic Lights - Not necessarily internet but application specific data.

hechter

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not exactly new. This is basically just optical-fiber technology but using air as medium?

Status
Not open for further replies.