News Chinese scientists use quantum computers to crack military-grade encryption — quantum attack poses a "real and substantial threat" to RSA and AES

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
It seems a bit dicey. We get reports on a regular basis about how a Quantum Computer can do this or that but they never seem to pan out. It would be nice to see some actual demos. I think a lot of these reports are exaggerated a bit to try to get more investment into quantum computers.

Reactions: thestryker
Mar 8, 2024
For the love of everything sacred, please stop publishing ANY stories based on what the Chinese say! Stop being a propaganda arm of the CCP. Nothing that they say related to technology or military is true. At all.

Reactions: shady28 and Grobe
Jul 12, 2024
It seems a bit dicey. We get reports on a regular basis about how a Quantum Computer can do this or that but they never seem to pan out. It would be nice to see some actual demos. I think a lot of these reports are exaggerated a bit to try to get more investment into quantum computers.
If and/or when government entities actually get this working, if they haven't already, you will hear absolutely nothing about it for as long as they can keep it secret.

It's an absolute brutal advantage.

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
It worked in testing... once out of 1,000,000 attempts in a controlled environment and they cant repeat their success. I'm deliberately making up that example, but if I had to bet I'm not far off from the truth. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Also important to keep in mind is that the "quantum" computer used is not really a full-on generic quantum computer, which are still in the R&D phase. The computer used in this case is from a company call "D-Wave" which employs a specific method called "quantum annealing" to solve problems, which is defined by Wikipedia as "a general method for finding the global minimum of a function by a process using quantum fluctuations to solve optimization problems". The article doesn't mention if the results were obtained any faster than could be done using a classical computer. You may ask how a classical computer could perform "quantum annealing". Well as it turns out, the term "quantum annealing" was first proposed in 1988 as a quantum-inspired classical algorithm. My thought is that the research was done more to show a future potential path than actually cracking any encryption. I guess this kind of research would be needed, because writing the "code" for a quantum computer is much different than writing code for classical computers. The figuring out how to write the code may be the real accomplishment they are publishing about.

Vanderlindemedia

Commendable
Jul 15, 2022

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
I'd be cautious about anything Chinese scientists claim with the current government there & this can't be helped being "political" because of the nature of the article.