Discussion Chip on graphics card burned out

shoneking

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
So guys i recently got a computer that is semi strong,but its good for my and my need for games.So everything worked fine until one night i was playing CS:GO and my PC started turning off,so i looked into the computer and saw that my graphics card chip was on fire.I quickly turned off my computer and i left it like that.Tommorow i checked what has happened and i saw one of the chips on the top of the graphics card is burned out.I tried to turn on computer and everything worked fine,the temperature was good,both fans are working and i could play games.Now my question is if i could do anything to fix that chip or how long will graphics card last without it until i have to but new one.Here are my specs:
Processor:Intel I7-2600 3.2Ghz
Graphics Card:AMD R9 280X 3GB Gaming Edition
RAM:8GB
HDD:500gb
Power supply:550W and i think thats enough for whole setup
Here is the picture of that chip.
Thanks for answers.
IMG_20190214_231736.jpg

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Your card is too dirty and the picture is not clear enough to say for certain if something is actually burned out. It could have been a bug that crawled up there and fried itself and you are looking at its remains. I would suggest cleaning it up and then get a better picture.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I can clearly see the damage. You cooked a power phase. I'm very surprised the card still works. This may result in increased temps on the other phases that are now compensating for the burned out phase and clocks might be reduced due to power delivery likely being all messed up now. I would keep a very close eye on that card if you plan to continue using it, it's a fire hazard now.

What power supply are you using make and model?

Are you using any adapters to power the GPU? Molex to PCIE power for example?

shoneking

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I can clearly see the damage. You cooked a power phase. I'm very surprised the card still works. This may result in increased temps on the other phases that are now compensating for the burned out phase and clocks might be reduced due to power delivery likely being all messed up now. I would keep a very close eye on that card if you plan to continue using it, it's a fire hazard now.

What power supply are you using make and model?

Are you using any adapters to power the GPU? Molex to PCIE power for example?
For my power supply i use:Antec 550W 80+ Bronze
I think im using VGA to HDMI adapter that i used on my previous pc and it worked fine.

shoneking

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
By the fact that most of the stuff around there all do not have numbers on them I suspect those that got melted are surface mounted capacitors. See:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JM4oCpWnjU

So if you really wanted to, you'll need the schematics or at enough info about the missing caps, so you can go and replacements and solder them back in place if you have the soldering skills.
If i would give a professional to do it,what do you think how much will it cost,and is it worth it or should i buy new card.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Im not sure that could be fixed by a professional, if it can be it would likely cost a lot more than the card is worth. I doubt you can just replace the components that were damaged, the PCB is burnt and warped. You would likely have to bypass the damaged VRM and replace it entirely. The finished product would look something like this below. Not worth it lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

shoneking

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Im not sure that could be fixed by a professional, if it can be it would likely cost a lot more than the card is worth. I doubt you can just replace the components that were damaged, the PCB is burnt and warped. You would likely have to bypass the damaged VRM and replace it entirely. The finished product would look something like this below. Not worth it lol.

maxresdefault.jpg
So what do you think how long will it last if i continue to play on it like month or days?

shoneking

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I have no idea. Just be careful dont leave it unattended like I said it is likely a fire hazard at this point.
Ok thanks for answering i will try to play a bit with it,until i get money to buy a new card,do you think when i replace the graphics card will the same thing happen to the new one or was the problem with this graphics card.