Chip prices fall at AMD

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Advanced Micro Devices cut prices over the weekend on some dual-core desktop processors and Turion mobile processors, bringing them more in line with the prices of some Intel chips.

It's now cheaper to buy AMD's top five Athlon 64 X2 processors as well as the company's Turion ML notebook processors, if you're shopping in quantities of 1,000 processors. The Athlon 64 X2 4800+ received the biggest discount among the desktop chips, moving from $803 to $643 over the weekend. The Turion ML-44 also received a hefty cut, down to $354 on Monday from $525 last week.

Source: Chip prices fall at AMD
By Tom Krazit
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Published: January 23, 2006

shane1234

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Awesome! I noticed the price on the AMD 64 X2 4200+ at newegg went from $400 to $390. Not much, but 10 bucks is 10 bucks. I'm ready to buy soon, would it be a good idea to hold off another week or so, or is that as low as it's going to get for a while?

Ditto for the Gigabyte 6600GT vid card i've had my eye on?

ArthurDent

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I recently bought a 4200+ X2. Wish I'd held off a couple of weeks now :p
I read reports of AMD cutting some lines at up to a third although I'm not sure how long that takes to reflect the actual retail prices.

Slowdog2

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Thats good news .....altho it seems like most of the stuff I have been investgating(sp) at NewEgg went up in price the last week!!
fugures I waited to decide just what I was gonna get till I had more info and it all goes up :roll:

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
What time of the year is best to buy PC parts? It's right after christmas and parts are actually going up?

Maybe since AGP cards are getting 'rarer', prices are rising. Who knows.

mpjesse

Splendid
The best time is usually when a new generation of processors come out (or right before). In this particular case, AMD is ramping up production of Socket M2 processors so they can be in a position to offload Socket 939/940 inventory as quickly as possible. The longer inventory sits, the less money everyone makes.

Holiday season has some effect, but not a whole lot.

:)

-mpjesse

giper54

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Here is what I heard:

"I am a design engineer and I work with several hardware testers. The goal I hear is a mid to late April ship date for 12 new processors.
It is going to be a big release and socket 939 processors should drop like a rock. The new processor line should be comparable to prices just before this months drop for there new lineup. So a low end dual core for socket AM2 I would expect to be around 350 to 400

Remeber it takes a week or two for prices to hit most places if you are going for a socket 939 processor.

I am waiting myself to build a new system in May"

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
No idea. I got a mobo that'll support the M2 cpu if I get a riser card for it though, so I'm fine. Funny how one of the cheapest mobos around seems to have the best features...well except for SLi I suppose...

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The weird things is that while I am searching for good deals on RAM I am finding better deals on DDR2 than DDR? Can anyone explain this?

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
The guys that sell hardware here don't know that. And they will never learn about it. Im kiddin. They know. They just don't give a sh.. about it. They know that they are the only option. You have to have a political back up to import computer hardware here. With a VAT of 20% here it's only more expensive to order hardware through internet(the cost of shipment will make it a nightmare to pay). So, are there any real news?

Slowdog2

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
DDR is like the AGP of video cards it on its way out but those of us that still want to upgrade or build a new pc now! and don't want to wait for AMD support for DDR2 got no choice! ....they know what ya gonna do yer gonna spend a couple of bucks extra on Ram complaining maybe but they know!

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Right, well they just announced the official name, of which ive yet to type. hell the way its going it might be 2007 before we see it... I'll change to socket OMFG its late again as the name by then :D

endyen

Splendid
The weird things is that while I am searching for good deals on RAM I am finding better deals on DDR2 than DDR?
It's the law of supply and demand. Manus made a bunch of DDR2 expecting it to take off, because Intel is promoting it. The sales quantity never materialized, so they are dumping it.

tylerthedruid

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
No idea. I got a mobo that'll support the M2 cpu if I get a riser card for it though, so I'm fine. Funny how one of the cheapest mobos around seems to have the best features...well except for SLi I suppose...

How is that mobo going for you? I just ordered one.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
when will AMD's 65nm's coming? What about the opteron 939's, I heard AMD is taking some out of production. Also, what is taking so long for the FX55's to drop in price??! They were supposed to drop to 600 something with the FX60's release, and I would LOVE to pick one up and mess with liquid nitrogen =)

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Works great, no major problems, though sometimes the AGP drivers can be a hassle (if you forget to install them that is). I do not overclock but well...my specs are below, no hardware instability of any sort. The video card I have sucks , but the board works fine for me with the X2 4400+ cpu...