Chip Sets compatible with the i-57400 @3GHz

Oct 27, 2018
So I am new to pc upgrades and installations, I have managed to swap out my 1060 3GB to a 1070TI, However Next I would like to upgrade my CPU..

However since my PC was originally Prebuild I have no idea what motherboard is in it.. I know that If I were to upgrade to a CPU with the same chipset as my current CPU I should be fine with installing it... However which intel CPU's (preferably i7) have the same chipset as the i5-7400 @3GHz quadcore?

Very important question right now. What kind of display are you playing on? Resolution 1080p-60hz? Any further upgrades will just be throwing money away....

As far as upgrades go... You have several options, all separated by price...

#1 - buying likely Used 7700 i7 cpu. Or the Unlocked 7700k would be about the best and simplest drop in upgrade. This would be accompanied by a CPU cooler (25$. One will do), and now it's going to get even more fun.... Because done you're aging components which increase power consumption, you'll likely need to upgrade your power supply. Most prebuilt psu units are cheap and lower tier quality. This could bring another expense of 60-90$. You would need to open up the PC and look for the brand name and model on the power supply to make sure you don't need to upgrade it.

Option 2 is pretty much an overhaul... Sell cpu+motherboard+Ram together on a local classifieds site or Facebook group. Then pick up an i5-8500///i7-8700setup.

Option 3. If only 1080p gaming, keep the system as is now. What's your goal afterall? Want 144hz gaming? 4k? This is all just money at this point, your goal is the only thing that changes the price.

As it stands, the i5-7500 is strong enough to deliver solid performance alongside of the 1070ti, there is no "bottleneck", and if there would be any cpu cap on heavy games, it wouldn't transmute into anything significant. If course a 7700k will pair well with the 1070ti, but if the display monitor is nothing special, why waste money? At the same time, this is something to be mentioned to OP, as done people just want to upgrade workout understanding that it will only get them bragging rights and nothing to show for (not to mention them missing out on what their system can actually do). But we're also sure that's he's either got an H board or a B, so there may not even be reason to spit out extra cash for a K cpu as he won't be able to use it to it's full potential (yeah I know the K cpu have a little Edge on performance over the non k, but is it worth it?)

The quad core cpus are already struggling with some recent games. If invest on the same platform, going for the extra threads of the i7 can give significant gain in terms of performance. The difference between the 7500 and 7700 in terms of price is proficient with the performance delta, especially when going for used chips. For multi threaded games like gta5, when paired with a 1070ti, the cpu will struggle to keep up and the usage will be around 100$%.

Oct 27, 2018

I have a small twitch channel in which I would love to stream more, high quality games. and with Rainbow six: sieges' new Update and Fallout 76 coming.. I can only run 76 on minimum and I cant stream these games anymore. I checked why and it is because my CPU is always at 100%. So I only assumed the only thing I could do is upgrade.