Chip Temp

G

I have a Leadtek Geforce 2 Pro. The hardware monitoring software that came with it monitors the chip temperature. The default critical Temp is 70 degrees. However, it almost always operates a few degrees above 70. I would like to know what is the highest safe temperature I can run it at, in order to stop the annoying ding sound that accompanies my gaming when the critical temp is breached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

wow, that is pretty darn hot. What is your room temps, your mobo and cpu temps? Do y ou have case fans? If you don't need your pci 1 slot, you should get a 60mm or 80mm fan to replace the small one on your Pro. You should make a shroud to block and direct air blowing off your cpu to go up instead of going towards your video card.

G

then again, if it runs perfectly fine at those temps you can just adjust the bar for the warning and put it at 80c or something so it won't beep untill then.

G

Thanks. I am running a 1gig Athlon with a big fan, and I have two case fans with good airflow. So I guess the only thing left to do is change the Pro fan. What is a safe temp for my card?

G

I'm not sure what the norm temp for the pro gpu is. If it is running fine for hours then it is ok. Just adjust the bar to stop the beeping.

G

I guess I will just keep it running hot then. Thanks for the input. If it starts affecting performance though, I'll do what you suggested, and shield it from the CPU heat. If I remove the PCI 1 slot cover on the back of the case, do you think that would offer more airflow, or would it attract dust?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I had a leadtek gts with the same problem .. they finally took it back and replaced it with a pro.. runs much cooler for some reason... you might try removing the hsf, scraping off the white generic paste and applying arctic silver 2 or email Joe Pak at leadtek (Jpak@leadtek.com)and bitch that it is running over 70 ( 50 and less is considered normal according to him) and is locking up your system and all ( makes it more urgent otherwise they will tell ya to live with it) demand an RMA there is a 3 yr warranty on leadteks

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

G

Thanks Lagger. I just sent Joe an email, and I am hoping he can help. By the way, what does RMA mean?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
RMA = Return Merchandise Authorization.. they give you this number, include it on a letter inside the box, and write it all over the outside of the package. A tip .. they will only return to you exactly the parts you send so it is in your best interest to send EVERYTHING .. cables disks original packing etc. Again.. you may have to bug em a little to get them to replace it but your card is not working right and you need to insist. Good luck and let us know how they treat ya' here

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>