Question Chipset Compatibility for Corsair Dominator Platinum 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15

Jun 21, 2022
Hi Guys,

I have the following parts from a dead machine
i7 6850k
Corsair Dominator Platinum 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB

I want to use them to make a new machine for CPU & RAM intensive tasks usually in Data Analysis field. I was looking around in pcpartpicker and found only a few motherboards with chipset x99 and x299 compatible with the RAM.
Basically what I was thinking to drop the CPU and go with a combo of a new high end CPU from 11th, 12th Gen and compatible motherboard. But I am findinh it weird that the RAM only supports those older chipsets only.

Am I researching it wrong, Any Suggestions on a machine build?

I only want to drop the CPU if I can jump to a quite recent CPU + Motherboard Combo, Otherwise I will just get a x99 board and get away using all parts.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 21, 2022
Compatible with, or on the QVL?

The bigger issue I personally see would be whether the mobo could address that much RAM. For instance, my Z590 can only have up to 64GB.
Compatible would be fine, I am mostly interested in reusing the RAM and the GPU. I would definitely want to use the whole RAM even if I have to compromise with the older gen chipset + cpu combo

Jun 21, 2022
Unless the RAM is ECC, which you don't mention, it should work in any DDR4 motherboard that can address that amount. Am I missing something?
Its not ECC, But I am kinda not very well informed with the technical bits, So I was looking around pcpartpicker and it only showed the x99 and x299 as the supported chipsets for the RAM, I was confused from there.

Any motherboard that uses standard ddr4 ram will be able to use some combination of that ram. The problem is trying to us all 8 sticks, that is where the x99 and x299 comes into play as they are the only ones with 8 ram slots.

If you drop down to only using 4 ram sticks or 64GB of ram then any socket, as long as the board can handle that much ram, from gen 6 to gen 11/12 (gen 12 can use both ddr4 and ddr5 depending on the board) should be able to use that kit.

TRENDING THREADS