Chipset drivers

WeK

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Building brand new computer and trying to install the AMD Chipset Driver downloaded from the Gigabyte website (v8.561). Once unzipped there were two folders: SBDrv and x86. I installed the southbridge driver from the folder SBDrv. Do I have to install the other ATi drivers from the x86 folder even though I'm using a nvidia videocard. Also, are there drivers for the northbridge? If so, where can I get them? One last thing, how can I uninstall/remove the chipset drivers? They don't appear in the Add/Remove Program screen.

BTW the drivers or some of them are for ATi Display Drivers. And when I boot and get a listing nit sure of what, maybe hardware it says that for SMBUS I have N/A.

Thanks

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Just because they are called "ATI" does not mean they are for a graphics card.

Are you installing them individually manually (by double clicking on the setup.exe files in the folders) or are you using the Gigabyte installer GUI? If you are using the GUI (pictures of which are in the manual) you should see the descriptions for each individual driver and what they are for so you should not be confused as to what they do.

You'll probably want to install all the motherboard drivers but not necessarily the Gigabyte applications as some of them are unnecessary and just too much fluff. The chipset drivers are important, however.

Any drivers required for the proper operation for the motherboard should be included on the CD and on the appropriate motherboard page at Gigabyte. If it's required, it will be there. I don't think there are separate installs for the northbridge.

bilbat

Splendid
I concur: use the disk that came with the MOBO to install first drivers; the install is properly 'sequenced'; i.e., some of the drivers must install first, in order for the remaining h'ware pieces to be 'discovered', so that their drivers can then be loaded. Once you're up and running with a loaded OS, you can always use update, or dl the latest drivers from GB's website...

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Create a new folder on your desk top and unzip your downloaded driver package to the new folder. Name it something related to Gigabyte Driver.
Open Device Manager @ My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.
You can update your drivers from there. Select desired device, right click, update driver, point to the new folder you created on the desk top.