chipset for vista?

superwoofer

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
When vista comes out as well as dx10, will ther be new mobo's and cpu's made for vista/dx10? Im not sure if I should build a new comp now and wait till dx10 or wait for dx10 then build a computer. which would be the smart choice?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
the only piece of hardware which will have to adjust itself to the dx10 architecture will be the video card, so you can build your system now, just don't waste your money on a dx9 card, wait for dx10 compatable hardware to come out...or you can just wait it all out together

fuzzy33

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
wait... i just got my 7600GT so your saying i cant get vista?
No, all DirectX 9 video cards can run Windows Vista without Aero (that is, Vista Basic), and most new DirectX 9 video cards will run the full Aero Premium interface.

According to Vista's system requirements,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx
to run Aero, the card must have:
"Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel."

DirectX 10 cards will run both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games, but DirectX 9 cards will only run DirectX 9 games.

The first DirectX 10 cards are coming out next week, and will be very expensive, and, I suspect, will have very high power and case cooling requirements.

Fuzzy

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yeah as fuzzy said...you can "get" vista with your gf7 card...use aero and glass, but you can't play dx10 compatable games with it, unless the game supplies dx9 compatable textures and libraries n' all, which is common cuz when dx9 first came out, most games still had backwards compatability to dx8

TRENDING THREADS