[SOLVED] Chipset in a laptop

Jan 17, 2019
I recently came upon the tech specs for a laptop I am highly considering purchasing, the following is listed:

Chipset: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9700K (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.9GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Mobile Intel® HM370 Chipset

My question is, is the i7-9700 compatible with the HM370? Also, if I were to upgrade to CPU to the i9-9900k (at time of purchase, not on my own) which chipset is compatible?

I was under the impression that the HM370 was for older generation intel CPUs, but then again.... I am a complete novice.

Thank you for any advice!

Solution

I think it would make little difference to be honest.

I would imagine the 400 would be compatible with the next genration...

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
The 300 series motherboards should be for 8th gen cpu as you say and respectively 400 series with 9th , but they do both run on 1151 socket and intel states both can run on a 300 series motherboard so it looks like it is correct.
i woul dimagine the 400 series boards can only use 9th gen but 9th can run on 300.
and if this is the case then the 9900k would be compatible.

Its unlikely that a reputable seller would get this wrong as they would usually just post the specifications provided by intel.

BringerOfTea

Reputable

You saw that he wrote "laptop"?

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

yes this applies to the mobile chipsets as well.
the mobile 8th and 9th should be compatible with 300 series according to intel.

Jan 17, 2019

Technically, to everyone saying you are stuck with whatever CPU you buy in the laptop, normally that would be true. However, I am looking at the alienware area 51m which has a CPU/GPU which can in fact be upgraded at a future date.

With that said, Demonesc was correct, I was referring to the order screen. "if I were to upgrade to CPU to the i9-9900k (at time of purchase, not on my own)"

Do you think there would be a disadvantage to having a 300 series board? Versus one with a 400 series?

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

I think it would make little difference to be honest.

I would imagine the 400 would be compatible with the next genration but for gaming purposes this is going to impact nothng in a major way that will make your experience better especially at the top end which is what you are going for.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS