Chipset, SLi and EPP

G

I'm trying to decide first what chipset based motherboard to look for. Basicly I wanna LGA775 1333 FSB 45 nm, DDR2, PCIE 2.0 for single nvidia gpu. I wonder if there's any benefits for using nforce instead intel based chipsets for single card? Since I doubt I gonna make sli config ever. And nforce seems abit more expensive.

I also noticed this Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP) tech, but Im confused about if its only working when paired with SLi graphic cards config, or is it standalone tech that only require certified memory and motherboard, and will benefit even with single graphic card? Because its also called "Sli-ready memory".

And quick q about memory/fsb: with 1333 FSB I can have 667 memory for 1:1 ratio, right? so If I wanna overclock the bus to 1600 mhz to take advantage of 800 mhz memory, do I need motherboard that support 1600 FSB? If so is it even currently possible? Because I dont see any any over 1333 bus boards except these with DDR3. I have no oc experience.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
To answer your first question the best chipset for a single card would be the P45, something like the Asus P5Q series. As for a single Nvidia card I would sugest the ATI HD4850 instead due to it's great price/performance ratio.

EPP setings are advanced memory timings requiring more than the JEDEC standard 1.8v. Any memory you see listed for sale at a voltage higher than 1.8v is being sold at it's EPP or overclocked speed and you will have to go into the BIOS and manually change those settings. SLI or EPP memory don't need a special "certified" motherboard, it is just a way for them to wring more money out of you. SLI or EPP memory have nothing to do with the video card, it is the system memory.

Yes and no to your next two questions. The X48 boards are certified for 1600FSB but all that means is that if and when socket 775 1600FSB processors are released X48 owners will be able to use them with a BIOS update. The boards rated FSB and overclocking are two different things.