[SOLVED] Chipset- this computer contains newer version...

Astralv

Distinguished
I am trying to install 2015 Chipset driver to Hesswell 4770K Z87 MoBo computer (Windows reinstall). It says, "This computer contains newer version than what you about to install. Are you sure you want to overwrite the following driver with older version?

Does it means the Chipset already installed? Did it come with Windows? I thought when I install Chipset, some new folders appear on C and on Desktop. I already have Recycle Bin. Do I need to install this older Chipset from manufacturer's web site?

Also when trying to install VGA driver from Asus website listed for my Z87 motherboard from 2015, it says, "This computer does not meet minimum requirements". I remember being able to install this same driver in the past. Why would it say it and what does it means? Thank you.

Solution
If you're downloading the Intel graphics drivers, go to Intel's site.

Basically Asus isn't going to keep their drivers page up to date for 7 years (the age of your CPU & mobo). However, the actual manufacturers of the components on the mobo (Intel chipset/LAN/USB/etc) Realtek (audio/LAN) is more likely to continue releasing driver updates for longer than Asus (or any mobo manufacturer) keeps their list up to date. Also, these companies submit their drivers to Microsoft to source out via Windows updates, so most of them get auto installed that way.

That's pretty much the way it's always been as far back as I can remember. Going to the mobo manufacturers webpage might be fine/convenient (since they conglomerate the many components...
D

Deleted member 14196

Windows 10 should include all the drivers for all of your devices automatically and can keep them updated automatically as well. No need for you to try to install anything else nor should you unless you were experiencing problems

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you for replies.
Since when we not installing drivers? For centuries, Windows contained generic drivers but we were supposed to download drivers from manufacturer to be specific. On Asus web site, when downloading driver, it comes as original version and modified Asus version. Isn't Chipset is something specific to your motherboard and/or processor "chip"?

We do have dedicated graphic card, but VGA is for Intel graphics built in. So, yes, I will need a driver for graphic card, but this one is to use built in video out. I find it strange that it would not install, even through it is 2015.

Thank you.

If you're downloading the Intel graphics drivers, go to Intel's site.

Basically Asus isn't going to keep their drivers page up to date for 7 years (the age of your CPU & mobo). However, the actual manufacturers of the components on the mobo (Intel chipset/LAN/USB/etc) Realtek (audio/LAN) is more likely to continue releasing driver updates for longer than Asus (or any mobo manufacturer) keeps their list up to date. Also, these companies submit their drivers to Microsoft to source out via Windows updates, so most of them get auto installed that way.

That's pretty much the way it's always been as far back as I can remember. Going to the mobo manufacturers webpage might be fine/convenient (since they conglomerate the many components onto one driver page) for up to 2-3 years after release (depending on the mobo manufacturer), but after that....probably not going to be showing the latest stuff.

Last edited:
Solution

Astralv

Distinguished
Would I want newer driver for older computer? I want the driver that is good for that specific component. I would not want 2020 driver on 2014 computer, would I?

As of VGA- it is strange that my computer did not change, the driver did not change but now it says- computer does not meet minimum requirement. How is it possible if I installed the same driver last time Microsoft massed up this computer? Thanks.