RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have built 2 systems this year. One AMD T-bird for myself and one Intel PIII for my partner.

In all the arguements for Intel vs AMD processors, people forget the chipsets. The only chipset for the AMD T-bird right now is from Via and it has not been stable for me. At first it was crashing at least once a day. However, since price and speed were more important to me than stability, I still think I made the the right choice for my system--now that I have been able to fix most of the problems.

Building a system for my partner, though, was another matter. He mostly uses his computer to run Office and surf the web. As for games, he still thinks solitare is great. As for his computer skill, I felt a surge of pride when he installed AOL all by himself. Stability was the most important issue for him. Price was second and speed was not even in the picture. I therefore chose an Intel system with the i815 chipset [CUSL2 motherboard] with a PIII 733EB. He thinks it is a rocket and it has not crashed on him once since I built and set it up for him about a month ago. One big plus for me was that WinMe already had the latest drivers for the i815. This says something about Intel. I have had to update my Via drivers 3 times now.

I am not an Intel lover! I think the AMD T-bird is the best thing out there. The P4 is pure marketing hype. The problem is, though, AMD's processors are handicaped by inadequate and unstable chipsets. If AMD can get a fast and reliable chipset to go with it's fast and reliable processors, it would definitely increase its market share.

I would not have considered building my partner's system as an Intel system if AMD had a reliable chipset for its processors.

:cool: James

soup20000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey James. I am with you 100% when most people go out to get a computer they have no idea what a chipset is let alone performance. I have a bunch of systems and I will let you know that I have a ASUS P5A/K6-2 500 (ALi Aladdin 5 AGPset), and I get blue screens all the time. Next up is my Celeron 366@580 with a MSI MS6119... good old Intel 440BX I never get any blue. Then come my ASUS A7V/Duron 600@700 (took out the water/peltier) the VIA KT133 chipset is very good. I never get blue... ever. Its just like my BX. I also have a Abit KT7-Raid/Athlon 900 (Also KT) and its just as good. I cant stand the P5A though... so bad.

AMD for Life!

G

AMD is in an aquard position with Via. They are the second largest chipset desingers in the world and desing the second best boards, but they are second best! AMD can't expect any more support from Intel and shouldn't expect ALi to do anything too great, and if Irongate taught us anything it is that AMD cannot desing a descent chipset on their own. We can only wait for Via to get better.

G

I upgraded to a Duron 600 a few weeks ago and so far everything works great. I'm running Windows 2000 Pro on it and I haven't had the operating system crash on me yet. I'm using a MSI 6340 Micro ATX mb w/sound. I'm trying to decide what AGP video card I should use with it, as I'm currently using a Matrox Mystique 220 PCI and Voodoo II 12mb PCI. I think VIA motherboards would be most stable when everything is integrated into it. I realize it doesn't sound appealing to the computer jocks (including me) on this forum, but for business, stability is what counts.

Maybe they can integrate SB Live Platinum, GeForce II 64MB Ultra, and Ultra-SCSI/RAID into their next mb. :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ranmaniac on 12/03/00 11:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with you. AMD CPUs are crippled by chipset support, the only viable option to them is the VIA KT/KX133 chipsets and AMD750 on K7M is good. I wont count SiS in the fray having very bad experiences with it. ALi should make one (the ALiMagik1 sounds great - with SDR as well as DDR SDRAM support)

Intel has come out with very good chipset with the 815e, and i am happy that the 810 will go out.

The bottomline - AMD needs good stable fast chipsets to stay in the market.

girish

G

Any new chipset platform is bound to have a few problems. That is why it is always better to wait for "rev 2" of any given MoBo. Intel has had the upper hand in the past because of their strong position with Microsoft. Thankfully this appears to be changing for now. What I dont understand in Micosofts seemingly disinterest in AMD's upcoming Sledgehammer 64 bit processors. Are we to be left with only Linux to run on this platform?

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain

TRENDING THREADS