mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I just read the Toms article on Penryn and wanted to know what exactly the northbridge chipet does for the computer. That is if I am correct in guessing this is about the northbridge.

If you have 3 systems with the same CPU, GPU, memory, etc. and the ONLY difference is one is a socket 775, one is a 965, and the other is the new Penryn what and where are the differences?

I know that the Penryn has a higher FSB. Does it run hotter than current mobos? Again, what exactly does FSB do for the system? The only thing I know is that you increase the FSB to increase the CPU speed for overclocking.

Thanks!

Eddie

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
ONLY difference is one is a socket 775, one is a 965, and the other is the new Penryn what and where are the differences?

Um, the difference between those three is a lot more fundamental than I think you realize.

Socket 775 refers to the physical socket in which the CPU sits. It's also known as Socket T, or LGA775 (Land Grid Array, 775 pins)

965 refers to the model of chipset on which the motherboard runs. 965 chipsets are on Socket 775 motherboards.

Penryn is the codename for Intel's 45nm CPU.

As for your northbridge question, the NB handles communication on the motherboard. CPU to memory (for Intels) and CPU to graphics card, that sort of thing. The southbridge handles hard drives, I/O, and such.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
jeff_2087 said:
ONLY difference is one is a socket 775, one is a 965, and the other is the new Penryn what and where are the differences?

Um, the difference between those three is a lot more fundamental than I think you realize.

Socket 775 refers to the physical socket in which the CPU sits. It's also known as Socket T, or LGA775 (Land Grid Array, 775 pins)

965 refers to the model of chipset on which the motherboard runs. 965 chipsets are on Socket 775 motherboards.

Penryn is the codename for Intel's 45nm CPU.
So when will this CPU be out, and how does it compare the the core 2 duos?

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
965 supports higher FSB and memory speeds, and has a better southbridge with 6 SATA ports

975X is slightly faster clock for clock (but only like 1%), supports ATI xfire, supports high end workstation features like ECC RAM if you want it, costs a little more